Athlon ll x4 635 propus w/ 6 cores and unlocked multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I was looking in my bios last night, and found that I can change the cpu ratio from 4x to 14.5. 14.5 being the auto setting. I also found that I can turn off the cores that I do not want on, this is where I found that there is six cores listed. The cpu is the athlon ll x4 635 propus 2.9 stepping 3. I thought that this was suppose to be 4 cores only and the multiplier locked! I read where some were unlocking the l 3 cache, but I can not. my mobo is the asus m4a79xtd evo w/ newest bios. Are they all "635 cpu's" like this? and if I were to get a mobo that will unlock cores for the black edition cpu's, will I be able to use the two extra cores?

Solution

The 6 cores possible to enable are likely a flaw in the bios. Enabling the two extra...
Don't get your hopes up...

1) The Athlon's have no L3 cache; it's not even present on the CPU die. You cannot unlock something that isn't there.
2) Ditto for extra cores. Athlon X4's are not a result of poor X6 chips being binned down, they simply do not have 6 cores to begin with.

Edit: Forgot to add: Since the base clock on AMD systems is 200MHz, 14.5x200 gives you... *drumroll*... 2.9GHz.

loneninja

Distinguished
Why it shows 6 cores who knows, enable them and see if it actually loads as a 6 core processor. I highly doubt it will though, almost all Athlon II processors are a native die with no L3 cache, and the only confirmed disabled hexcore processors from AMD I'm aware of are OEM only to prevent unlocking.

As to adjusting your multiplier from 4 to 14.5, that would be expected as that is what your processor already does for Cool N Quiet. If you had an unlocked multiplier you would be able to tune way beyond 20, no clue what the max actually is.

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
So you all think I am a liar and I am yankin your cranks? Well, here, I took this picture just for you. Happy viewing :-D

l_cb631b128adc447589e2d3bb5949f374.jpg

Now please, answer my questions and stop being village idiots. And also, keep the pot smokin off my thread please. If you wanna shoot it with your buddies, use an instant messenger.

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Rand I did not crop that. I chose that picture because it was the biggest and easiest to read. At the request of members of this forum, here are more pictures. The first one is of CPU-Z and there is another BIOS shot to comfirm they are the same chip. Now, please answer my original question. Is this a BIOS error? Is anyone else experiencing this? Or am I just lucky and ended up with a 6 core? I know that the extra cores are not unlocked which is why CPU-Z is only showing the four cores. Ideas???

Untitled.png

bios2010.jpg

The 6 cores possible to enable are likely a flaw in the bios. Enabling the two extra cores will have no effect, or could cause it to crash and you could have to reset it. There are no Athlon IIs derived from thuban.

As for being unlocked, all AMD CPUs are unlocked in the downward direction. Note that you cannot go higher than the stock 14.5x. Which is still kinda nice for flexibility.

And for L3 cache unlocking, this was able to be done with the first Athlon IIx4s that came out because they were Phenom IIx4s with disabled L3 cache. This was only for the very early 620 models. I got mine several months later, when they were all made without L3 and were no longer disabled denubes.

Everyone asking for proof is being foolish because they read a thread a few months back where a troll tried to convince people that he had a working Athlon IIx6. This is not related to you and people should not be being rude to you because of it. I apologize for dipankar's rudeness.

dipankar, this user made no claims that he had a working athlon Iix6, he is only curious as to why his bios shows a possible 6 cores to disable or enable.

Solution

loneninja

Distinguished
@OP You think you are very smart that you can fool everyone.In the first screenshot you chop the part which shows cpu info and in the second screenshot you chop the part which shows core.How about posting a screenshot which shows both cpu info and cores.
And the cpu speed is different in those bios screenshot which is also fishy.

@Enjo Sorry for being rude once again. You can again apologize for me. I donot give a damm.

His original picture may not show the model number of the processor, but it proves its an Athlon II, as it shows NA for L3 cache. It's clearly not a Thuban in that board, his BIOS really is showing more cores to unlock than there really are. :lol:

bunkachunk, I would say it's a BIOS glitch of some kind. CPU-Z is identifying your processor properly and showing that it only has 4 core/ 4 threads down at the bottom. Having core 5 and core 6 enabled in your BIOS has done absolutely nothing for you.

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi, I called asus tec. support this morning," which is what I should have done in the first place" the reason that the six cores are showing up is that the asus mobo m4a79xtd-evo supports the amd six core cpu. I was looking at a utility that gives you the option to turn off the cores if you want to. all I wanted was some info., and all I received was a hard time. people come here to get answers to questions, not to be put down or be called a lier! it's a shame that some have to go there! This has not been a good experience for me! P.S. The speed is diffident because I overclocked it!, but you already knew that didn't you! I want to thank those that did want to truly help, thank you very much......

Glad you managed to sort it out. Apologies if you had a hard time, most of us are not that rude... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.