Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HIS HD4670 Crossfire problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2010 9:28:38 AM

Hi,
I am having trouble with crossfire and cannot find the solution anywhere.

Card 1). HIS ATI HD4670 1GB GDDR3 Gpu 750Mhz Mem 800MHz
Card 2). HIS ATI HD4670 1GB GDDR3 Gpu 750Mhz Mem 850MHz

According to the HIS specs on their website they are both crossfire ready.
According to ATI website they are crossfire compatible.
They do not have connections for crossfire bridges so are software crossfire only.

M/b). Foxconn P43A

According to Foxconn Website it has crossfire support.
2* PCIe2.0 x16 slots
When crossfired will run at x16/x4 cofiguration

Installed latest Catalyst as of today. Ver 2010.0527.....

I am considering flashing my M/b but would rather not at this stage and would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Many thanks.
July 23, 2010 9:32:29 AM

What is the problem exactly?
Score
July 23, 2010 9:38:44 AM

Good point, I didn't mention the problem...

According to GPUZ Crossfire is disabled, Catalyst has no option for crossfire and Performance Test benchmarks the performance as you would expect one card to achieve.

I am running a monitor out of each card so I know they are both working, but everything points to them not being crossfired and no mention that they are?

Cheers
Score
Related resources
July 23, 2010 10:12:06 AM

Hmm. Try Catalyst 10.4 or 10.5 - older drivers may rectify the problem. Your Foxconn motherboard's x4 slot may bottleneck a bit of performance (possibly not) but that doesn't explain why CFX wouldn't work...
Score
July 23, 2010 12:25:49 PM

Ok, this is what I tried....

>Cat. Software uninistall
>Ran DriverSweeper to remove any old drivers
>Installed Cat. 10.2

No luck, so repeated the process and installed 9.10.

No luck, so uninstalled hardware, ran Driver Sweeper and reinstalled 9.10.
Still no sign of Crossfire in GPUZ or Cat.

I have seen this problem in other forums for these cards without any resolution, I think I will try the manufacturer to see if they have a solution. How can they say they run in crossfire when they obviously don't, no mention in their FAQs either!!

Thanks for your help, I'll try anything else you can think of.
Cheers.
Score
July 23, 2010 5:02:42 PM

Hey there,

Software crossfire is SLOWER than hardware crossfire.

IN crossfire, the fastest card will downclock to the slower card. You can overclock to match the faster card.

I would suggest a crossfire bridge. They are cheap, or you could beg/borrow one from a friend/local store.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l131...

Good luck.

PS. Use Cat 10.3 or 10.4.
Score
July 23, 2010 6:24:03 PM

hunuok said:
Hey there,

Software crossfire is SLOWER than hardware crossfire.

IN crossfire, the fastest card will downclock to the slower card. You can overclock to match the faster card.

I would suggest a crossfire bridge. They are cheap, or you could beg/borrow one from a friend/local store.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l131...

Good luck.

PS. Use Cat 10.3 or 10.4.

He mentioned his cards do not have the crossfire connection (I looked up a HIS 1GB version that did not have the connection on the card), so a hardware CF solution isn't possible.
Score
July 24, 2010 1:38:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your comments. I can't find any solutions for this problem in any forums so I will send a query to HIS and post their response.

I have a feeling that my M/b only supports hardware crossfire and not software, I will explore this also.

Cheers.
Score
July 24, 2010 3:53:41 AM

Quote:
He mentioned his cards do not have the crossfire connection (I looked up a HIS 1GB version that did not have the connection on the card), so a hardware CF solution isn't possible.

My bad.
Score
July 26, 2010 4:55:54 AM

UPDATE:
I did get a response from Foxconn re the problem...

....quote
Thank you for contacting Foxconn Technical Support.
We suggest you contact with Video card brand owner confirm whether this card can support software crossfire or not.
Due to this function should be support by your cards.
Any query in the future, please contact us freely,
Yours Friendly,
Foxconn Technical Support
.....end quote.

I read this to mean that the M/b is compatible with the cards in crossfire and the problem lies with the card manufacturer as to whether they are software crossfirable or not. Seing as they don't have bridge connections and they are sold as crossfire cards one could safely assume that they can crossfire via software.

Foxconn has an application that collects your hardware specs from your machine and sends with the query, so they had the specs/data required to come to this conclusion. Still waiting for a response from HIS.
Score
July 26, 2010 4:59:31 AM

UPDATE:
Also tried Cat 8.10. Had to disable Win7 driver auto install feature to do this as it would automatically update on startup to 9.10.

No luck!
Score
July 27, 2010 12:27:49 PM

UPDATE:
I have received a response from HIS re the problem which I though quite interesting. I have posted the entire ticket for interests sake. Note that I submitted the ticket attached to one of the registered cards, "this card" (all the product details such as serial number, engine code and product codes were already submitted when registering; I simply added the spec for the 2nd card in the message (the 2nd card is registered with them as well).

I SAY
....quote
Hi,
I am unable to software crossfire this card with:

HIS HD4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1GB 800MHz DDR3 PCIe
Product code:H467QR1GH
Serial Number:H100540460
Engine Code:SK2-1A-C

Both cards are crossfire comaptible and my Motherboard supports crossfire.

GPUZ notes that crossfire is disabled.
There is no mention of crossfire in Catalyst Control Centre.
Benchmark software tests rank as if one card was tested.

I have tried Catalyst versions 10.2 & 9.10.

I have unistalled the ATI software as well as the hardware.
Ran driver Sweeper after uninstall to rermove old drivers.
Reinstalled hardware and software.
Tried installing one card at a time.

I have seen this problem with these cards in other forums with no soltion found.

All my drivers are up to date.

I appreciate your assistance to resolve the matter,
Regards.
.....end quote

THEY SAY
....quote
You have two 4670 in the system. Could you see the two cards in the Device Manager? You can also try the most updated driver from the following link:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...

Why don't you use hardware crossfire?
......end quote

I SAY
....quote
Hi,
Thanks for your response.

Yes I have two HD4670 cards installed , both seen in device manager, GPUZ, Direct X and I have monitors attached to each.
Card Product codes: H467QR1GH & H467QSS1GP.

I updated to Catalyst 10.7 released yesterday without any change and crossfire capability.

I don't use hardware crossfire because your cards don't support this as they have no bridge connections.

Your website notes that the cards do have the crossfire function and they are sold promoting this. One would assume that they can be run in crossfire mode.

Are you saying that this is not true or are the cards faulty?

Regards.
....end quote

Their response is somewhat absurd and has me rather concerned! Surely they would ask more technical questions or request more information. I will await another reply.

If I was not involved I would like to laugh as the ridiculousness. I hope someone reading this has heard of a similar problem and can shed some light as I am not expecting HIS to come through on the back of that performance.

Keep you posted,
Cheers.
Score
July 28, 2010 9:59:28 AM

UPDATE:

THEY SAY
.....quote
Please see the document in the following link :

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICrossFire...

Are you running games in full screen mode? If not, only one graphire card is operating.
.....end quote

I SAY
....quote
Thank-you,
Yes I am aware that the crossfire function will only be available to supported applications.

The 3d performance test I have utilized (Performance test by Passmark Software) tests in full screen mode.

My results are consistently around the 700 mark. The HD4670 is ranked on the website to be able to achieve a 773 mark.Unfortunately no one has logged a bench mark for 2x HD4670 cards, perhaps because it is not possible.

When a card is tested in crossfire is shows a x2 after the card,for example...

HD4850 Score:1333
HD4850 x2 Score:1447

I used GPUZ to log the cards activity while under test (full screen)

CARD 1 during test:
GPU temp 44-52 deg C.
GPU load: 44-100% (mostly at 99%)

CARD 2 during test:
GPU temp 31-32 deg C.
GPU load: 0% (no change)

These tests show me the second card is not being utilised at all. Is there any way to show that crossfire is enabled? Or do I have to enable crossfire?

Regards.
.....end quote

And so it goes on, I wonder if I will get anything helpful from HIS.....I could be totally wrong and it is functioning but it all seems to point that it isn't.

Does Catalyst show crossfire in software mode only, or does it only magically appear in hardware crossfire?

I do not see any reference to crossfire in Catalyst so it is a mythical beast to me!

Keep you posted.
Score
September 10, 2011 9:38:21 PM

I have the same cards and just bought them not to long ago. Every time I've tried to crossfire them (which works and shows both cards running), my computer crashes in every game I go into at some point if not immediately. Why the hell these cards don't have a connection for a hardware crossfire connection or even the ability to get extra power from the PSU, I have no idea. Seems like I've been jipped but from a lot of forums I've read, it's not just these cards but other higher models as well on multiple motherboards. I wish they would just fix the problem so I can finally use the cards :) 
Score
September 14, 2011 5:17:15 PM

No disrespect, but I think you should cut your losses. The cards are two generations old and I doubt AMD/HIS will place resources on these cards.

I had a similar problem with a pair of 5970s. After nearly a year of jumping through THEIR hoops (ie send endless reports and then saying they can't replicate the problem etc), I never got it working. I sold both and went NVIDIA. Haven't looked back since.

Vote with your wallet.
Score
September 14, 2011 5:27:15 PM

nobody mentioned...

check your bios for pci setup change some settings see if it works
if not your only option is to A throw your cards against the wall B get a few bucks for it

Score
September 14, 2011 5:48:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!