Sign in with
Your question

Do i need wireless internet for wi fi

Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2010 5:58:06 PM

Help-completely computer illerate. hav a desktop computer with sky broadband (all got just under 2 years ago)and would like 2 go wireless.no other comuters to link 2 but wud like 2 my wii and dsi 2 link into the internet(hav a nintendo wi-fi USB connector-will this help?)
Hav clicked under 'my comuter' and then 'device manager' but only 1 item comes up when i click on 'network adaptors'-does this mean i have something else to buy to become wireless?
Also is wireless and wi-fi one in the same or completely differant!!
HELP ME PLEASE!!!

More about : wireless internet

November 15, 2010 8:33:07 PM

hell-yeah said:
Help-completely computer illerate. hav a desktop computer with sky broadband (all got just under 2 years ago)and would like 2 go wireless.no other comuters to link 2 but wud like 2 my wii and dsi 2 link into the internet(hav a nintendo wi-fi USB connector-will this help?)
Hav clicked under 'my comuter' and then 'device manager' but only 1 item comes up when i click on 'network adaptors'-does this mean i have something else to buy to become wireless?
Also is wireless and wi-fi one in the same or completely differant!!
HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty simple to use WiFi on Sky Broadband. The router is by default allowing WiFi access, you should find the Access Key on the side of the modem. It will be a group of letters and digits on a label. You can also check and make sure the router is setup by using these following steps :

1. Open your browser.
2. Type : 192.168.0.1 into your address bar, normally found at the top and where you type web addresses.
3. When prompted put your username and password in for the device, default for all Sky modems is Username : admin Password : sky (I highly recommend changing this once into the settings page)
4. Now click Setup which you will find on the top of the page.
5. You should now be faced with a page that has your wireless settings.

First should be your SSID which is the access point name (This is what you will need to find or know when using your WiFi enabled devices) Make a note of the name, or change to something more familiar to you.

Make sure the ticks are in these corresponding boxes : Enable Wireless Access Point and Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) *this is easiest option, but does mean your access point broadcasts the SSID to all devices that can detect*

Now make sure you have selected to use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) as this is the most secure WPA ability the router has. Also this is where you have the chance to input your own password for the device and WPA Key, please make sure it has some charactoristics like different cases and numbers.

Now do apply and try to connect via your devices. (For extra security I would suggest locking your WiFi to the MAC addresses that you will connect to your WiFi. In this case your Wii and DSi. Remember you will need to edit the settings each time to add a device but it should help with unauthorised access)

To connect your Wii follow these steps :

1. On the Wii Menu select the Wii Button in the bottom left part of your screen.
2. Select the Wii Settings option.
3. Scroll down till you find Internet (this should be on page 2).
4. In the Internet page Select Connection Settings.
5. Now select a open tab, this will be indicated by None on the tab.
6. On the next page select Wireless Connection.
7. This page has the manual and automatic options, please select Search for an Access Point.
8. Follow the onscreen instructions, remember that it's WPA-PSK and type your password in when asked.

To connect your DSi follow these steps :

1. Select System Settings.
2. Scroll to the third page and tap Internet.
3. Tap the tab saying Connection Settings.
4. Now select a tab that has None (meaning empty).
5. Now click upon Search for an Access Point.
6. Select your SSID (The name of your access point) from the list.
7. Input your password into the box below where it says "This access point is secure." then tap ok.

Once both devices are connected to the WiFi correctly, you can now setup Wireless Station Access List. (This only allows devices with the MAC addresses of the devices you've allowed to connect)

1. Open your browser and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
2. Now type your username and password in.
3. Select Setup along the top of the page.
4. Click Setup Access List by Wireless Station Access Point.
5. Place a tick within the Turn Access Control On.
6. Under the Available Wireless Stations, there should be 2 devices and their MAC addresses (00:A6:B4:34:43:00 for example) press the dot next to each one and click add so they move to Trusted Wireless Stations.
7. When complete click apply, you will lose internet on your devices momentarily and then it will come back.

Now you should be reasonably secure and both devices connected to the internet! Good luck and have fun!
Related resources
!