New Gaming Build Help - AMD ($600-800)

HagbardC

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well my last build was about 7 years ago and I'm obviously in need of a new moderate gaming build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple of weeks

BUDGET RANGE: 600-800 Canadian dollars (before taxes/shipping), hopefully closer to 600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, programming, sound/music editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, hard drive, optical drive, speakers, sound card, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca or ncix.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD & ATI Crossfire compatible

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not now, but I want the option

Alright so in addition to the above information, I've already done some hunting around and have a basic idea for what I want. But I'm posting this in hopes of some extra insight, ideas and maybe some cheaper options that still fit my needs.

This is my basic build idea so far:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Motherboard: There are a few boards I'm looking at, juggling between Gigabyte and Asus, msi. I have one question though about crossfire. If I'm using one of the boards with an integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290 GPUs and also have a ATI HD 5770 card or something like it will I get crossfire with the integrated card? and if so, how much increase will I notice?

GPU] Looking at a ATI 5770 most likely for the budget but still decent performance. Also gives me the option to crossfire with a second 5770 in the future when I have more money. Unsure about manufacturer though. Looking at this card:

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

open to suggestions...

Memory: 4GB is all I want right now.

Case: Want a case with a decent amount of space and good cooling. under $100 though

PSU: Wasn't really going to decide on this until the rest is figured out, so any recommendations would be good. Not sure how much wattage I'll need yet.

Thats about it so far, thanks for any help and suggestions. I'm on the lookout for any bargain, combo deals or whatever that will suit my needs so if there's anything good out there that is different from what I'm already looking at I'll give it a look.

Thanks!

HagbardC

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
i can't remember the resolution of the monitor, no more than 1280xsomething though, and not widescreen. But it doesn't matter because this is something I intend on upgrading to a 1080p monitor within the next few months, its just one of the components that I can't afford right now.

The hard drive I'm using right now is a bit newer than the rest of my pc. Its a seagate, 7200rpm. I actually do need a new one as well, but its another piece I'm waiting on.

I guess I could do a better GPU, but they really jump in price after the 5770, I'll have to think about that. I do like the idea of that mobo/ram combo though.