Inspiron 8100 power problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 12, 2004 7:40:09 AM

I have an Inspiron 8100 that was not working for quite a while. There
was no light when the AC power was plugged in and it seemed as if this
machine
was dead.
After reseating most of the components and testing the HD in another
machine, I decided to try and start it with a charged battery from
another machine.
It started, and would work on battery power...the AC power would work
ONLY after starting it from the battery. It still would not start with
AC power plugged in so I resorted to starting via battery then plugging
in.

This worked well for a week or so.... Now the
machine will not start again. I did get it to POST a few times by
making contact with the power button board, but this was very
inconsistant.
Do you think its the DC/DC power board or the led power button board?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2004 1:07:36 PM

I had a similar problem with an Inspiron 8100 - turned out to be a bad AC
adapter.

"Rob" <robla64@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an Inspiron 8100 that was not working for quite a while. There
> was no light when the AC power was plugged in and it seemed as if this
> machine
> was dead.
> After reseating most of the components and testing the HD in another
> machine, I decided to try and start it with a charged battery from
> another machine.
> It started, and would work on battery power...the AC power would work
> ONLY after starting it from the battery. It still would not start with
> AC power plugged in so I resorted to starting via battery then plugging
> in.
>
> This worked well for a week or so.... Now the
> machine will not start again. I did get it to POST a few times by
> making contact with the power button board, but this was very
> inconsistant.
> Do you think its the DC/DC power board or the led power button board?

December 13, 2004 10:24:18 AM

I have swapped out a few AC adapters and it has the same symptoms. I'm
leaning towards the DC/DC power board. I may order one from Ebay.
December 13, 2004 10:50:35 PM

I'm having the EXACT problem with my I5000. I'm starting to think it's
the DCDC board too. Let me know if it works. :)
!