Default Beep Event Missing

jeff

After we installed Norton Anti-Virus 2005, the event "Default Beep"
disappeared from the Sound Scheme portion of the Sounds option in Control
Panel on one of our PCs. I know this is a registry problem and I once knew
how to fix it as it happened my my PC, but I need a refresher. Any help out
there? Thanks...
--
Jeff

Leave it to Norton.

Windows XP Ding.wav is the Default Beep.

%systemroot%\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav
or
C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav

Open Sounds and Audio Device Properties...
Start | Run | Type: mmsys.cpl | Click OK |
Sounds tab | Program events

Sound scheme
[[Lists schemes that you can use to change the sounds assigned to many
program events. Each scheme consists of a set of events and the sounds
associated with them. You can create a new sound scheme by clicking Save
As.]]

Program events
[[Lists the program events to which you can assign sounds. To assign a sound
to a program event, click a program event (such as Close program) under
Events, and then click a sound under Sounds.
If you do not see a sound in Sounds, you can click the down arrow to select
from those listed, or you can click Browse to search for sound files on your
computer.]]

Sounds
[[Lists the available sound files that you can associate with program
events. The sound files listed are typically those files stored in
systemroot\media. However, if you have browsed to a different folder and
used sounds located in that folder, the Sounds list includes sounds from
that folder.
You can search for sound files in other folders by clicking Browse.
Sound files for program events must be in Microsoft WAV format, a file
format developed to store and replay sounds on a personal computer. Their
names usually include .wav as an extension.]]

Play button
[[Plays the selected sound. When the sound plays, this button changes to a
square block or a Stop button. Click the Stop button to stop playing the
selected sound.]]

Browse button
[[Click to search for sounds on other drives or in other folders.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6899015C-30CF-440C-A210-2F4F9A0D2DA0@microsoft.com,
Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After we installed Norton Anti-Virus 2005, the event "Default Beep"
> disappeared from the Sound Scheme portion of the Sounds option in Control
> Panel on one of our PCs. I know this is a registry problem and I once
> knew how to fix it as it happened my my PC, but I need a refresher. Any
> help out there? Thanks...
> --
> Jeff

xpmad

Tho this is good advice, i am havin a similiar issue where it seems all windows schemes are corrupted. I have regular sound within games, playin mp3's and or software prog sounds, but "windows" default sound schemes are disabled. For instance: default volume icon ding is now the default pc speaker tone or startup and shutdown sounds are missing completely. The only two new programs i have installed is "Goldwave" sound editor and Daemon Tools"---image drive. Thinkin this might be the problem i quickly uninstalled these programs the prob still exists. :cry: :pt1cable: :sarcastic: