Default Beep Event Missing

After we installed Norton Anti-Virus 2005, the event "Default Beep"
disappeared from the Sound Scheme portion of the Sounds option in Control
Panel on one of our PCs. I know this is a registry problem and I once knew
how to fix it as it happened my my PC, but I need a refresher. Any help out
there? Thanks...
--
Jeff
3 answers Last reply

    Leave it to Norton.

    Windows XP Ding.wav is the Default Beep.

    %systemroot%\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav
    or
    C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav

    Open Sounds and Audio Device Properties...
    Start | Run | Type: mmsys.cpl | Click OK |
    Sounds tab | Program events

    Sound scheme
    [[Lists schemes that you can use to change the sounds assigned to many
    program events. Each scheme consists of a set of events and the sounds
    associated with them. You can create a new sound scheme by clicking Save
    As.]]

    Program events
    [[Lists the program events to which you can assign sounds. To assign a sound
    to a program event, click a program event (such as Close program) under
    Events, and then click a sound under Sounds.
    If you do not see a sound in Sounds, you can click the down arrow to select
    from those listed, or you can click Browse to search for sound files on your
    computer.]]

    Sounds
    [[Lists the available sound files that you can associate with program
    events. The sound files listed are typically those files stored in
    systemroot\media. However, if you have browsed to a different folder and
    used sounds located in that folder, the Sounds list includes sounds from
    that folder.
    You can search for sound files in other folders by clicking Browse.
    Sound files for program events must be in Microsoft WAV format, a file
    format developed to store and replay sounds on a personal computer. Their
    names usually include .wav as an extension.]]

    Play button
    [[Plays the selected sound. When the sound plays, this button changes to a
    square block or a Stop button. Click the Stop button to stop playing the
    selected sound.]]

    Browse button
    [[Click to search for sounds on other drives or in other folders.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:6899015C-30CF-440C-A210-2F4F9A0D2DA0@microsoft.com,
    Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > After we installed Norton Anti-Virus 2005, the event "Default Beep"
    > disappeared from the Sound Scheme portion of the Sounds option in Control
    > Panel on one of our PCs. I know this is a registry problem and I once
    > knew how to fix it as it happened my my PC, but I need a refresher. Any
    > help out there? Thanks...
    > --
    > Jeff
  2. Tho this is good advice, i am havin a similiar issue where it seems all windows schemes are corrupted. I have regular sound within games, playin mp3's and or software prog sounds, but "windows" default sound schemes are disabled. For instance: default volume icon ding is now the default pc speaker tone or startup and shutdown sounds are missing completely. The only two new programs i have installed is "Goldwave" sound editor and Daemon Tools"---image drive. Thinkin this might be the problem i quickly uninstalled these programs the prob still exists. :cry: :pt1cable: :sarcastic:
  3. :bounce:

    DEFAULT BEEP entry missing in Windows XP and the associated Windows XP Ding sound bite.

    For the solution, go to the following website. I cured mine - and that after reading most of the internet post on the subject without success. Happy, Happy!!

    http://infohost.nmt.edu/~armiller/win2000/win2000rf.htm

    Go to OTHER TASK and find the solution under item 13.

Configuration Default Windows XP