Your question

Z68 . Chosing right/best motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2011 10:14:00 AM

Hi Guys,

From what I learned so far, I decided to go with a Z86 chip for my i7 2600k cpu. I like the idea of taking advantage of lucid virtu and ideally having a friendly BIOS interface (eg UEFI)

Yet again, options are overwhelming(to me at least) . Also I am not sure if Lucid Virtu works on all these....

So from these options below? any thougths? would you add others? :

ASUS: ASUS P8Z68-V ---- LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GIGABYTE: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (gigabyte is the most confusing to me....)
ASROCK:ASRock Z68 Extreme4------ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't need audio or video really (have pci audio and pcie video cards)
I'd like to overclock to some extent (air cooling)

what else?

thanks!!

More about : z68 chosing motherboard

July 11, 2011 11:26:12 AM

I chose the ASRock, it was the recomended buy from Tom's Z68 roundup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4...

It has better features overall and best efficiency. However, if you are into overclocking, you can squeeze out a little better overclock with the ASUS boards (however the ASRock was compared to the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro version wich is a little more expensive, not the one you are considering), although the ASRock overclocks just fine also.

In my view the pros are:
- ASRock: lower price, able to do triple crossfire or triple sli, good power efficiency;
- ASUS: better overclock, longer warranty, great brand.

The Gigabyte boards didn't get a very good review on Xbit Labs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/gig...
m
l
July 11, 2011 12:12:42 PM

Hi
Looking at both links. Very interesting indeed.
I was wondering if there is an even better option than ASROCK since I don't plan to ever do 3 sli ..probably (2 sli) ? and do have already a video card?

Also, on video cards, would lucid Virtu work on that AsRock mobo? my understanding is that it'd leverage dedicated gpu///
m
l
!