Help me choose a power supply.

jijimcpaws

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I am an owner of a Gateway DX4840-11e desktop, I intend on buying a high end graphics card, but first I need to replace my 300w PSU with 550w or above, problem is, I'm confused as to what to look for. Can someone help? I'm not sure what would work in my system. Here are my specs if it helps:

Intel Core i3-550 Processor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
8192MB DDR3 Dual-Channel Memory
1TB SATA hard drive (unsure of RPM)
16X DVD+/-R/RW Super Multi Drive
Available: 1 - PCI-E x16, 2 - PCI-E x1, 1 - PCI

Thanks!

tecmo34

Administrator
@mark_gibson5: Yes... the "Corsair - Gaming Series 700-watt" will be adequate for your new PC but on the "overkill side".

@jijimcpaws: Emperus is correct that the SeaSonic 520 is adequate enough for your system. As mentioned aboved, you need to look at the AMPS on the 12V rail, which is just as critical. They are pretty much the same as between each other.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi mark, out of the three you have listed I would say the Corsair first, that is if its not too overpriced compaired to the others, I say this because of good build quality of Corsair. Then the Thermaltake, as it should be made by CWT which are know to manufacture good PSU's. And last I do not know if anyone here would recommend you buy a Rocketfish PSU.

TRENDING THREADS