Sign in with
Your question

Help with new Samsung 830 SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2012 10:25:54 PM

Hi there, I am going to try to make this as simple as possible.
I have a new Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I currently have my OS and everything else on my WD 500GB hard drive. How do I transfer my OS and some important applications from the WD HD to my new SSD.

Thanks in advance!

More about : samsung 830 ssd

a b Ô Samsung
a c 119 G Storage
December 1, 2012 10:31:52 PM

I would say that the best way is to do a fresh clean install of the OS on the SSD because your going to want the Sara 3 mode set to AHCI and if this is your first SSD then most likely it's not. I would make a dvd of some of your more important files like pictures and music and then as for the games and other things you7 can either make a dvd or put them on a usb stick where you don't need the whole game just the user profiles.
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:33:32 PM

inzone said:
I would say that the best way is to do a fresh clean install of the OS on the SSD because your going to want the Sara 3 mode set to AHCI and if this is your first SSD then most likely it's not. I would make a dvd of some of your more important files like pictures and music and then as for the games and other things you7 can either make a dvd or put them on a usb stick where you don't need the whole game just the user profiles.

How might I set it to AHCI? Also, If I do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD, how will I be able to use my HDD as a storage device?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
a c 119 G Storage
December 1, 2012 10:39:06 PM

To set the sata controller to AHCI you go into the bios under the advanced tab or intergrated periphials whichever you have and look for the sata controller setting and it should say IDE but it could say AHCI you will have to see when you get in there. Which ever it is you want it to be AHCI when you exit the bios.
When you load the OS onto the SSD just diconnect the hard drive while your doing that and reconnect when your done and then go into disk management and delete the partition on the old hard drive and make a new one and format it and give it a drive letter.
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:50:49 PM

inzone said:
To set the sata controller to AHCI you go into the bios under the advanced tab or intergrated periphials whichever you have and look for the sata controller setting and it should say IDE but it could say AHCI you will have to see when you get in there. Which ever it is you want it to be AHCI when you exit the bios.
When you load the OS onto the SSD just diconnect the hard drive while your doing that and reconnect when your done and then go into disk management and delete the partition on the old hard drive and make a new one and format it and give it a drive letter.

I set it to ahci. When I go to install, it says windows was unable to format a partition on the drive. Any suggestions?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 119 G Storage
December 1, 2012 10:57:45 PM

Is there an option for you to make a new partition on the drive ? If not you'll have to reconnect the ol;d drive and with the SSD still connected go into disk management and make a partition on the SSD and kust do that and don't format it let Windows do that in the install.
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:02:06 PM

inzone said:
Is there an option for you to make a new partition on the drive ? If not you'll have to reconnect the ol;d drive and with the SSD still connected go into disk management and make a partition on the SSD and kust do that and don't format it let Windows do that in the install.

The only other thing I can do is format it. I will try to do that in disk management.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 119 G Storage
December 1, 2012 11:31:29 PM

Let me know how you make out.
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:35:11 PM

inzone said:
Let me know how you make out.

I see the SSD in disk management...how do I create a partition? It says I need to format it before I can use it.
Perhaps we can go on teamviewer. It will be easier and quicker.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 2, 2012 12:03:02 AM

To answer your question first. Right click the drive and you will see what options are available.

More concerned about windows not able to format drive from installation disk.
Did You do anything with the SSD prior to connecting and and tringing to install windows as inzone suggested, if you did you may have a partition on the SSD that you need to first delete.

I would retry Installation - As inzone suggested 1) DISCONNECT the HDD and 2) Insure bios is set to AHCI. (Question, what was it set to for the HDD?)
Insert your Win 7 installation disk and Select Custom Installation
On page showing your HDD, select advanced and if ANY partitions are present, DELETE them. You should now have a UNPARTITIONED SSD. select this to install windows to. Probably asky you if you waqnt to use all of the disk, just use the whole disk.
That will probably solve your problem.

Did NOT see which MB you have for our i5. But SSD should be Installed on the INTEL sata III (6) SATA port - DO NOT use the marvel sata III port.

If that solves your Installation problem, great.

Now for Your HDD. If Old OS was installed with the BIOS set to AHCI, great. Connect HHD, power on, go to Bios and Set Boot prority to SSD and boot to windows on the SSD. BEFORE deleting your old OS, you can copy your Favorite folder over to the New SSD from the HHD. also if you need to transfer email files you can do that by export/import.

HOWEVER, If Old OS on HDD was installed with Bios set to IDE, recommend you fix this. Assuming Win 7 Installation was successful.
1) Disconnect the SSD, Connect your Old HDD back up. reset Bios Back to IDE and boot to windows 7.
FIX it: From Link, Select either "Fix it for Me" or follow instructions for "let me fix it myself"

When done, reconnecnnect SSD and reset boot priority to SSD.

NOTE: Do not delete old OS for about a week in case you have a problem.
Until you delete old OS, you will be able to Daul boot into either the OS on the SSD or on the HDD. When you power on during the post you just need to hit the Key that pringes up the Boot menu - Do not need to go into BIOS. On by Gigabyte MB it is F12, on My Asrock MB it's F11.

m
l
December 2, 2012 12:10:41 AM

RetiredChief said:
To answer your question first. Right click the drive and you will see what options are avalable.

More concerned about windows not able to format drive from installation disk.
Did You do anything with the SSD prior to connecting and and tringing to install windows as inzone suggested, if you did you may have a partition on the SSD that you need to first delete.

I would retry Installation - As inzone suggested 1) DISCONNECT the HDD and 2) Insure bios is set to AHCI. (Question, what was it set to for the HDD?)
Insert your Win 7 installation disk and Select Custom Installation
On page showing your HDD, select advanced and if ANY partitions are present, DELETE them. You should now have a UNPARTITIONED SSD. select this to install windows to. Probably asky you if you waqnt to use all of the disk, just use the whole disk.
That will probably solve your problem.

Did NOT see which MB you have for our i5. But SSD should be Installed on the INTEL sata III (6) SATA port - DO NOT use the marvel sata III port.

If that solves your Installation problem, great.

Now for Your HDD. If Old OS was installed with the BIOS set to AHCI, great. Connect HHD, power on, go to Bios and Set Boot prority to SSD and boot to windows on the SSD. BEFORE deleting your old OS, you can copy your Favorite folder over to the New SSD from the HHD. also if you need to transfer email files you can do that by export/import.

My HDD was originally set to IDE....
So you want me to format the partition thought the windows 7 installation setup? Or should I format it through disk management?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 2, 2012 12:17:12 AM

During the Installation, if NO partitions on Drive, windows will A) place a tiny 100 mb partition (This is a systems partition, not for your use). B) create a partition using the remainder of the drive (Your "C" drive). C) intialize and formate the partitions that it created.

NOTE: If In windows disk manager, it showed any partitions you could simply delete them there and retry the installation.

Note I added a step on How to fix your IDE problem. If you desired, you can do that before proceding with the OS Installation on the SSD.

ADDED: As Shipped, there are NO partitions on an SSD to Format. If you had created one, then that was probably the problem.
m
l
December 2, 2012 12:24:27 AM

RetiredChief said:
During the Installation, if NO partitions on Drive, windows will A) place a tiny 100 mb partition (This is a systems partition, not for your use). B) create a partition using the remainder of the drive (Your "C" drive). C) intialize and formate the partitions that it created.

NOTE: If In windows disk manager, it showed any partitions you could simply delete them there and retry the installation.

Note I added a step on How to fix your IDE problem. If you desire, you can do that before proceding with the OS Installation on the SSD.

ADDED: As Shipped, there are NO partitions on an SSD to Format. If you had created one, then that was probably the problem.

Yeah, I think I may have created the partitions. After deleting them, disk manager displayed the whole thing is unallocated. I am about to retry my installation of windows 7.
Edit: so I told it to install windows on the unpartitioned ssd. It gave me the same error. I went back and now it shows two partitions again. I have been trying to get this thing to work for the past 7 hours. Not sure why this is happening...
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 2, 2012 12:53:51 AM

Is one of the partitions 100 mb and the 2nd one the remainder of the drive?

You can try to Format. The "large" partition on the SSD and then retry installation.

However, you should not have recieved the error.
I have curcial M4 (3ea), smasung 830 (3 ea), plus about 7 other SSDs. - have Installed in 3 laptops, and three desktops and have not had one problem - Except with an Agility III (Ugh) that was NOT compatable with my laptop (Was when they first came out).

Added: Might install Samsung's Tool box and do a secure erease on your SSD. Install their magician on HDD OS, connect SSD to Check drive and do a secure erease.
m
l
December 2, 2012 12:55:07 AM

RetiredChief said:
Is one of the partitions 100 mb and the 2nd one the remainder of the drive?

You can try to Format. The "large" partition on the SSD and then retry installation.

However, you should not have recieved the error.
I have curcial M4 (3ea), smasung 830 (3 ea), plus about 7 other SSDs. - have Installed in 3 laptops, and three desktops and have not had one problem - Except with an Agility III (Ugh) that was NOT compatable with my laptop (Was when they first came out).

Yes, one iS 100 Mb and the other is the rest of the drive.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 2, 2012 12:59:34 AM

IMPORTANT - Verify you are using the Latest BIOS firmware update. Some of the older MBs require an Update to the Bios!!!
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:13:01 AM

RetiredChief said:
IMPORTANT - Verify you are using the Latest BIOS firmware update. Some of the older MBs require an Update to the Bios!!!

I will have another go at this tomorrow. For now, I need to get some rest. Although it still is not working, I thank you both for your efforts thus far.hopefully things will be better tomorrow.
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:11:58 PM

RetiredChief said:

My BIOS is up to date. I want to restart everything like the ssd was completely new. What would I need to do?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 4, 2012 1:33:54 AM

The best thing is to run Samsungs tool box (Magician Software (Software) (ver.3.2) )
Also if unsure read their manual.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC...

I think you will need to do this on a system that has the OS installed.

Basically you need to delete all partitions and then run a secure erease.
The tool box should also identify if your Drive is healthy.
m
l
December 4, 2012 11:00:12 PM

RetiredChief said:
The best thing is to run Samsungs tool box (Magician Software (Software) (ver.3.2) )
Also if unsure read their manual.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC...

I think you will need to do this on a system that has the OS installed.

Basically you need to delete all partitions and then run a secure erease.
The tool box should also identify if your Drive is healthy.

When I try to do the secure erase, it does not allow me to. It claims the ssd is "locked"
Also, disk management can do nothing with it because of an "I/O error"
Perhaps I should return it and start with a new, fresh one...?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 4, 2012 11:24:01 PM

Did you look in the manual
Ref:
User Manual - Page 40
... drive: 1. Select the SSD from the list of available drives. Erasable drives will have a "[Non OS Disk]" label next to them. 2. Click "Start." Some PCs automatically "lock" attached drives. If you receive an error message that tells you that the selected disk cannot be erased because it is in a "locked" state, follow the instructions below to power OFF/ON your SSD: 1. Open your computer case to gain physical access to the SSD. 2. Disconnect the cables attached to the SSD. 3....
End quote.
m
l
December 4, 2012 11:29:33 PM

RetiredChief said:
Did you look in the manual
Ref:
User Manual - Page 40
... drive: 1. Select the SSD from the list of available drives. Erasable drives will have a "[Non OS Disk]" label next to them. 2. Click "Start." Some PCs automatically "lock" attached drives. If you receive an error message that tells you that the selected disk cannot be erased because it is in a "locked" state, follow the instructions below to power OFF/ON your SSD: 1. Open your computer case to gain physical access to the SSD. 2. Disconnect the cables attached to the SSD. 3....
End quote.

I did indeed see that in the manual. Tried it...and it was still "locked" Tried a couple more times...nothing. Restarted computer and tried...nothing.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 5, 2012 12:30:07 AM

If you can swap it, then that might be the simpliest thing to do.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:34:24 AM

RetiredChief said:
If you can swap it, then that might be the simpliest thing to do.

Unless I somehow fix it between tonight and tomorrow, I will return it...I really don't know what else to do. *sigh*
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 353 G Storage
December 5, 2012 12:50:13 AM

There is another thing that I would try and that is to run Diskpart.
This is a dos cmd line. that can remove hard to remove partitons.
But it is NOT for the faint of hearts.

What you would need to do is connect the SSD on a working computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Basically
Run a dos Cmd (Rt click and run as admininstrator.
Type diskpart
type list Disk (find disk Nr for SSD
Select disk x (x= your SSD)
Clean (can also say Clean All)
exit

Now try re-installing OS.
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:05:08 AM

RetiredChief said:
There is another thing that I would try and that is to run Diskpart.
This is a dos cmd line. that can remove hard to remove partitons.
But it is NOT for the faint of hearts.

What you would need to do is connect the SSD on a working computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Basically
Run a dos Cmd (Rt click and run as admininstrator.
Type diskpart
type list Disk (find disk Nr for SSD
Select disk x (x= your SSD)
Clean (can also say Clean All)
exit

Now try re-installing OS.

I am unable to type anything when Diskpart opens up.
Edit: turns out diskpart just lags a bit and commands take a minute to register. Anyways, when I do the clean or clean all command, it complains of an I/O error just like disk management...

My motherboard: ga-z68a-ud3h-b3
m
l
!