Any reason Newegg and ZZF are out of i7-860's and i7-930's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Was just sitting down to figure out which I would like to get for a new system I'm specing out, and was suprised to see the ol "out of stock"/"deactivated" flag for both at newegg. Zipzoomfly as well lists both as being out of stock.

Am I out of luck if I want to order one later this week from one of the two above places, or is this just typical ebb and flow?

<edit> Huh, tigerdirect has both (are they sketchy?), tho oddly, the prices are very similar. Wierd.

Solution
Both of those core i7s were replaced by higher end parts. The i7 950 and i7 870 are now the same price as they were, so you get a faster stock processor for the same money now. ;)

Tigerdirect is reliable, they're usually a little more expensive though. I got my monitor through them.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Both of those core i7s were replaced by higher end parts. The i7 950 and i7 870 are now the same price as they were, so you get a faster stock processor for the same money now. ;)

Tigerdirect is reliable, they're usually a little more expensive though. I got my monitor through them.

Solution

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Ahhhh, thankyou Haserath! That's exactly what I needed to hear - thanks! I pay attention to hardware only when I'm buying stuff, so any shifting of makes, models, and series passes me by.

Anything out of the ordinary I should know about either of those new cpus? (that is, anything like 'well, it's out, but there's reports of X with them because they haven't worked out the kinks of Y" etc etc)

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Nope, nothing to worry about. They aren't really new, they're just a core i7 920/860 with higher core multipliers, so basically it's been out since 2008. They should actually overclock a little better due to higher multipliers on the cores.

The i7 950 wants a LGA 1366 motherboard. The i7 870 wants a LGA 1156 motherboard.

If you intend to have two or more graphics cards you should pick the i7 950/LGA 1366 version because that's where LGA 1366 has an advantage over LGA 1156. If not, the i7 870/LGA 1156 is somewhat better value, I think.

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for the response, aevm - I'm going a 2-card route, and definitely have settled on the 950/1336.

Seems like the 1336 chipset is the Way Of The Future and all that, so it seems like it keeps a potential upgrade path open, should I be tempted in a few years to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.