PC boot error after a failed BIOS update

esadic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I've decided to update my BIOS so I reflashed the bios on my ASUS P5K-SE using the ASUS windows based flash utility. It wiped it clean, loaded the new one, and then it couldn't verify. At this point my only two options were quit and retry. So I clicked on retry and this time, it won't even tried to write the bios. Having no other choice I clicked on quit, closed all programs and decided to restart my PC.

Since then, I'm unable to boot my PC. The machine starts, but then shuts down after a few seconds, then starts again and shuts down after a few seconds and so it goes. According to manual, there should be a somekind of "fail-safe" mode but I think that got wiped out with BIOS too. I already tried CMOS-reset and reloading BIOS using support disk that ASUS gave me with motherboard.

PC spec:
----------
ASUS P5K-SE Motherboard
NVIDIA 9800GT 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7200
6 GB RAM (2x 1GB and 2x 2GB, 2GB memory modules are DDR2-800Mhz)
Windows 7 x64
320 GB Samsung HDD 7200 RPM

Thanks for any help

marbski

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
first before you begin any update regarding bios make sure you have backed up all your data just in case their would be a problem, and that's it you have now a problem, for me if something wrong with the BIOS set up, the MB also went wrong, back up all your data pull out your HDD and put it to other pc and get all your data for back up. after that have a fresh install...

Bios recovery from ur support manual at http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5K_SE/e3202_p5k-se.pdf see section 4.1.5

1. get usb drive
2. Put bios file on root of it (not in a folder and note u have to unzip it should be like .rom or .bin file or something like that)
3. put in a motherboard usb port then power on computer
4. it will automatically flash file

there are also ways to do it with a floppy or cd just look in section 4 under recovery of bios