Does a GTS 250 make sense for this setup?

I just got a Et1331g-05w refurb from Woot! for just under $300 and I'm pretty eager to make it more of a gaming machine. I've been using a laptop the last few years and I'm excited to be able to finally swap out and upgrade with a desktop computer again. It's been awhile though, so I have some somewhat newbish questions. This is what I have:

AMD Athlon™ II X2 Dual-Core Processor 250u (1.6GHz, 2MB total cache)
4GB DDR2 dual-channel (2 × 2GB) memory (upgradeable to 8GB); 4 DDR2 slots total, 2 DDR2 slots available
750GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE graphics
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
1 PCI slot
2 PCI Express X1 Slots
1 PCI Express X16 Slot
19" monitor

I want to upgrade the power supply (600-750 watts) and add a video card, and what I want to know is:
1. Is it possible to get a video card that has more power than my computer can take advantage of? I don't want to pay for more than the computer can handle.
2. I figure I'll probably use tigerdirect or newegg for my purchases. Will any sites sell gpus and pcus bundled at a reduced price?
I'd love to have the combined cost be under $200, or maybe even $150.

I'd like a good value on the video card. I don't need top of the line or overkill, but I'd like to play current games and not be obsolete in a year. I imagine my cpu is the weak link, but I don't want to have to upgrade that too (yet! Gotta draw the line somewhere).
There are so many chipsets and so many brands, it makes my head swim. Is the GTS 250 overkill? I was thinking of the PNY XLR8 GeForce GTS 250 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM. It's gotten a lot of good reviews.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and for any advice or information!
4 answers Last reply
More about does make sense setup
  1. 1, Yep, for example that CPU it has now would limit CPU intensive gamew by quite a marign.
    2, Newegg has plenty of Combo deals, just look closely and see.

The GTS250 is quite an old card and theres pretty much no point of getting one now unless its a great deal, Consider a HD5750/5770 or wait fro the GTS450.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.442724
    $215 AR, might be a little too much for your needs though, whats the resoltuion of that monitor?
  2. The native resolution is 1366 x 768. I accidentally wrote CPU/GPU combo when I meant PSU/GPU combo! Thanks again.
  3. For your resolution, GTS250 or HD4850 is just more than enough...
  4. if your planning on gaming, a good brand 450w psu, gts250 @ better CPU would help (that CPU your using is slow). You dont need more than 450 - 500w PSU for the setup you are talking about.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product