Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Phenom X6 Fan & Heatsink Recommendation

Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2010 11:45:11 PM

Can anyone recommend a QUIET and effective fan/sink combo for a 125 watt Phenom X6 1055T CPU? The fan that comes with the unit is insanely LOUD. This surprised me, as the stock fan that came with my old Athlon 64 X2 4000+ was pretty quiet. I don't need anything crazy, I'm not OCing the unit. I want something cheap, effective, and QUIET! Thanks. :-)
a c 159 à CPUs
November 16, 2010 10:40:22 AM

Most newer boards have a smartfan setting in the bios for controlling the fan speed. Check the hardware monitor section. Some boards have a quiet setting. You can play with the settings until you find one you like. My cpu fan only turns at 1500 rpm or less, and my temps range from 30-44c. If you don't find a smartfan setting, get a zalman fanmate series rpm adjuster. They sell for around $7 at frys.
Score
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
November 17, 2010 2:28:49 PM

I have a Syth Katana myself. It's shorter than most higher end HSF so it will fit a slightly smaller case. To boot it is also relatively cheap at $30 or under. No fan controller but it is quiet.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 2:48:21 PM

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, Great Cooling abilities and a VERY reasonable price, some people say its quiet, some say its ok, few people say its too loud for thier liking. Its really up to the user to make their own opinion I guess.
a c 95 à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:31:36 PM

thechief73 said:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, Great Cooling abilities and a VERY reasonable price, some people say its quiet, some say its ok, few people say its too loud for thier liking. Its really up to the user to make their own opinion I guess.

Ditto
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
November 17, 2010 5:04:42 PM

thechief73 said:

It's only loud at full fan speed, and even than it's still much quieter than the stock Phenom II heat sinks. :lol: 
Score
November 24, 2010 4:35:41 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I'll look into these suckers and see what fits in the case and the wallet. :-) Keep 'em coming if you got more!
Score
December 2, 2010 3:22:09 AM

I recently ran across this unit here and was wondering if it can work with my Phenom X6. I know it's listed only through an X4, but are there that significant differences to matter? I really like the design, and it doesn't require ripping your motherboard apart to install.
Score
December 2, 2010 4:26:10 AM

thechief73 said:

I recommend this cooler to everyone, its amazing and its only 30 dollars on newegg.com with a 15 dollar mail in rebate.

For the people who say it loud, get over it, you can replace the fan with a better one, and even then its still cheaper then most of the garbage 70+ dollar heat sinks.

This is the best cooler for the money.
Score
December 12, 2010 3:05:00 AM

Best answer selected by excitron.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 3:57:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!