Sign in with
Your question

5770 vs (2) 5750s - - both 1 gig versions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2010 5:42:36 PM

Hello all........

so yeah so about 2 weeks ago i bought a ummm forgets the manu but a 5770 for about 190 or so....think it was a xfx....anyways

now...my friend just got a geforce 470 for graphic work and is about to start selling his 5750s...

now yesterday i bought a mobo that has 2 PCIe slots so......would it be cool to trade my 5770 for his two 5750 so i can sli them..........am i gonna see any diff in performance good or bad??? or am i still better off with the 5770?

any help is appreciated. thanks
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 5:47:26 PM

how much is he selling them for?

if you already have a 5770, why not just put the money you were going to spend on those 5750s and get a second 5770...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 5:55:57 PM

Whats your board?
If it X16/X4, probably youll have to think twice about dual 5750s.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 5:57:33 PM

What mobo did you get? Make sure it can do Crossfire at x16,x16 or x8,x8; x16,x4 would not be worthwhile. A x4 slot is good for a RAID or PhysX card, but not for a second GPU for graphics.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 5:58:24 PM

Great minds think alike, although sometimes their attached fingers type at different speeds...
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:09:26 PM

ok as far as the type of mobo and the whole x16 and all that.....i have absolutely NO idea what yall are talking about ahahahahaa....

and um turns out i have to go back to the store, picked up the wrong mobo....i had one in my hand...put it down for a hot second to look at this other board and......walked away with the wrong one................
i meant to pick one up like this one

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

but had 2 slots, not 3....

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:11:10 PM

Uh-oh, SLI boards cant do Crossfire.
Unless you get a AMD based board, youll stuck with a pretty paper weight called the HD5750.
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:15:57 PM

i chose the asus m4a785td-v evo....by mistake but was planning on going back to find a ddr2 version of it or something like it.

good?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:18:41 PM

Nope, 785G is all X16/X4,
Either a 790X/GX/FX, or those 870/880 boards with dual X8 support.
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:31:11 PM

To answer the guy uptop that asked how much hes selling them for...he said like...between 90-100 for each.........new i think they go for like 120 -140 or so........

so since i paid (after tax) like 195-200 for mine then you know.......
but ya.....

you see all i want to do is ....i do alot of graphic n starting to get into some programming so what i want to do is just move thing around between 3 screens and if i can game across all 3 of em then even better lol....ive never been a pc gamer EVER but ever since ive started upping my system i must admit i am hooked!!! barely touch my p3 or 360........

but anyways, so let me ask this.....

for the 100-120$ range, whats a good board that i can get that has dual PCIe ???
cause i have this thing here that i have to exchange and im going back to the store after work, maybe with your guys help i can make a better purchase.
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:43:49 PM

thanks fellas for the replys....i just have one more ?

for what i want to do right...im a noob, i just figured as long as it had 2 pcie slots id be okay lol.......

but so...for what i want to do right, what should i look for....???cause the thing is for things like these i prefer to go to the ACTUAL store to make my purchase (comp usa) nothing loyal or anything but....if its bad or whatever i can go back right then n there and exchange, hate to play the send me yours and ill send you mine game these companies play..takes forever lol....

so with what i want to do (share 3-4 screens via pci3x2)(and maybe multi screen play) what should i look for on these mobo boxes at the store?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:46:46 PM

Compusa and Tigerdirect is the same store with a different name, just copy down the model and ask someone at the store, they should have it, and if not, they could order it.

Heres the Compusa link if you want it, it even has the same item number lols. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:56:17 PM

ahahaha, thank you kind sir...will do....

one last ?
anything your expertise can recommend inthe asus camp?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 7:06:55 PM

DDR2 Crossfire boards are getting pretty rare nowadays, and I don't see any in stock on Compusa/Tigerdirect/Circuit city.

Theres a couple on newegg from MSI and Biostar, nothing from ASUS unfortunately.
This one sorta-looks like one lol: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 23, 2010 7:26:27 PM

YOU KNOW...IM GOOGLING IT BUT...caps...now im getting confused.....

especially since im not 100% sure what i want to do....lol...i thought i was but....

okay, im googling it now but...sli and crossfire sound like the same thing.....im lost.

above u said "Uh-oh, SLI boards cant do Crossfire.
Unless you get a AMD based board, youll stuck with a pretty paper weight called the HD5750 " lol

so i guess....overall, i assume if i get one of these boards youve kindly reccomended right, and stick the two 5750s in there....what is the purpose of that aside from that the games i play will be what, better looking? can i put them on extra high as oppose to just medium/high.....will the game run smother??? with this dual setup using one of the boards youve recc...will the game run better/faster/stronger/ than the same game with my 5770?

because i essentially want to be able to game like a mad man and as far as work goes, be able to dance my work screens between 3 screens maybe 4 (via each cards dual dvi)

or .......

thanks in advance...SCHOOL A NOOB! lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 7:40:21 PM

Getting that motherboard is to make sure you can crossfire like a champ with the 2 5750s, for the performance difference its time to go back and refer to this: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-cro...

With 2 5750s, you will have more raw graphic power, which translates into either higher fps for the same settings, or go up to "ultra" while maintaining the fps you have with a 5770 on "high".

I'm not sure you can run 4 monitors on a Crossfire setup though, 3 is possible with a VGA dongle and eyefinity, but with 4 you might need to unlink them and use Hydravision. I'm afraid you might need to consult someone with expert knowledge on multi-monitor management.
m
l
July 23, 2010 7:52:48 PM

hmm ok ok got you...im reading that article now.

gaming across multiple screens...though impressive is not as important as simple workflow between multi screens.

so say that i got any mobo with dual PCIe slots right, and i put in (for now ) my 5770 and a geofrce 9800 gt i have in my closet right....though im sure i wont be able to game across multple monitors would i atleast be able to drag a window between 3 of my monitors?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 8:10:33 PM

somdow said:
hmm ok ok got you...im reading that article now.

gaming across multiple screens...though impressive is not as important as simple workflow between multi screens.

so say that i got any mobo with dual PCIe slots right, and i put in (for now ) my 5770 and a geofrce 9800 gt i have in my closet right....though im sure i wont be able to game across multple monitors would i atleast be able to drag a window between 3 of my monitors?

I doubt that, the moment you install Nvidia drivers on the the PC chaos is bound to happen. The drivers aren't coded to work in harmony.

With 2 ATI cards, I think you can connect 2 monitors on both cards and run them for desktop usage, I'm just not sure enough as I have yet to try that in real life, so I wont set those words in stone just in case something goes wrong and you're stuck with something you payed for but can not use.
m
l
!