Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Fan Speed
  • Windows Vista
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2010 5:58:19 PM

Ok, so I have a Diamond Radeon 5770, with the latest Catalyst drivers on Vista Premium 64. I've over clocked my card a little with ATI Overdrive, and everything is stable and OK, except for 1: Temperature.

If I let Catalyst manage my fan speed, it keeps it around 30-40% even under load, resulting in temperatures of 68-71C. I feel that this is unacceptable, so I manually raise the fan speed to 70%, keeping my card at 52-56C under load, or even to 100%.

The problem I have is that the fan is way too noisy above 50%, so I let Catalyst manage my fan, keeping it quiet and cool, since non-gaming tasks don't put my card under load.

What I'd like is for catalyst to keep the keep the fan at whatever quiet speed while activity on the card is low, but to raise fan speed automatically to 70% when I enter a game, and to raise it further as needed. Is this possible somehow? I know catalyst does something similar to the clock speed...

Thanks in advance for the help! :hello: 

More about : make catalyst smarter

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:01:43 PM

Try creating a custom fan profile:
read here: http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33926633
July 23, 2010 6:13:23 PM

Timop said:
Try creating a custom fan profile:
read here: http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33926633

I read that, however that discusses how to control the temperature in older versions of catalyst that did not give you the option, if I understood it right. Anyways, I didn't know about these profiles, so I'll look into it, thanks!
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 6:27:42 PM

Oh, I looked at the profiles settings and I found it!
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:27:54 PM

Best answer selected by spartanrevenge.
m
l
July 23, 2010 7:56:28 PM

But doesn't controlling the fan manually put it at risk of getting damaged and wared out sooner than it is supposed to?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 8:02:52 PM

evan4244 said:
But doesn't controlling the fan manually put it at risk of getting damaged and wared out sooner than it is supposed to?

Not really. You're more at risk to burn out a card from heat, than to burn out a fan from overuse. Fans are fairly robust, just simple electromagnetic motors while the GPU is complex and very fragile circuitry.
m
l
!