Can I transfer my hard drive to a new PC and make it work?

shadowedge

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU, Case, and RAM.

I am planning on keeping my old PC,s power supply, disk drive, videocard, and hard drive.

Is it possible to install my old hard drive into the new PC without any problems? Will I need to update drivers or anything for the HDD to work?

I am updating my CPU to an i5 3570k up from a Core 2 Quad. My Motherboard is being updated to a LGA1155 too.

I have never built my own PC before and am worried that I will loose all my data. It is a 7200RPM Western Digital HD.

Thanks!

The hard drive that you are referring to is it the drive with the OS on it or just a storage drive ? If the OS is on it then you may hjave a diffacult time getting it authorized because the Windows insallation is tied to the motherboard. So with a new motherboard and cpu Windows will become unactivated and require a reactivation. I f it's just a data drive then if your using the same OS then you should have no problems.

If you could specify which type of drive you are transfereing then we can discuss it further.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
A lot of the programs can be copied over with no problems. (provided you legitimately install them)

Whenever I change computers, I literally make a copy of the programs that i want to keep (like steam, photoshop, etc).

I then just run the installation off of the disk/.exe from (the product's download site) and then copy and past the old file over the installed file...

And of course the OS would still be locked down to your old pc. so you might have to buy a os.

1) Backup your data using your preferred method (not on the hard drive)

2) Install hard drive when assembling computer

3) Do a CLEAN (custom) install of the hard drive, formatting / deleting everything to install fresh to a single partition.

4) Install drivers, move data back and install programs.

Good to go!