FPS Opinions?

I've been having a great time with UT99. Just a fantastic multiplayer game.
I really enjoy the sniping levels online, as well as multiplayer network
gaming at the office.

That being said, I have heard quite a bit about Half-Life 2,
Tribes:Vengeance and saw a demo of UT 2004. What's the gameplay like in
these? I see the graphics look good, but to me the gameplay is utmost. For
me, UT99 has excellent gameplay. Duke Nukem 3D had excellent gameplay.
Fore example, I did not get a charge out of Quake so much as Duke or UT.

So, I am just fishing for opinions on great FPS games. I enjoy multiplayer
more than single player. I have found a newgroup for Tribes, but did not
see a specific one for UT 2004. Is it ok to post UT 2004 questions to this
group?

Thanks again for taking the time,

~Mud_Jack
16 answers Last reply
More about opinions

    Hi,

    > That being said, I have heard quite a bit about Half-Life 2,
    > Tribes:Vengeance and saw a demo of UT 2004. What's the gameplay like in
    > these? I see the graphics look good, but to me the gameplay is utmost. For
    > me, UT99 has excellent gameplay. Duke Nukem 3D had excellent gameplay.
    > Fore example, I did not get a charge out of Quake so much as Duke or UT.

    I think that Half-Life 2 and UT2004 target two different niches.

    HL2 is a relatively slow-moving, closer-to-real-life type of action
    game, where the focus seems to be on carefully-orchestrated attacks and
    well-thought out sniping positions ... Generally, one or two shots from
    enemy will sideline you during online play, and it's this kind of
    realism that ends up irking me more than anything else.

    UT2004 -- especially its Onslaught mode -- is, in comparison, a very
    fast kind of FPS that tends to focus more on teamwork and your skill
    with the mouse :) ... I find Onslaught to be the funnest FPS game type
    around -- it has a good combination of physics (though nowhere near
    HL2), weapon choice, strategy, and vehicles.... The fact that it runs
    perfectly under Linux is also a major plus to me.

    But don't take my word for it -- download the free demo and try it out.

    > So, I am just fishing for opinions on great FPS games. I enjoy multiplayer
    > more than single player. I have found a newgroup for Tribes, but did not
    > see a specific one for UT 2004. Is it ok to post UT 2004 questions to this
    > group?

    yup. The majority of posts here seem to revolve around UT2004 or UT99,
    so it's quite on-topic.

    cheers,
    Kris ("Dr._V")

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:59:50 -0800, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net>
    wrote:
    >I have found a newgroup for Tribes, but did not
    >see a specific one for UT 2004. Is it ok to post UT 2004 questions to this
    >group?

    FYI, there's a alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 group. No one ever
    bothered to create a 2004 group, so people tend to post both in here
    and in the 2003 group. It's pretty laid back, so posting to either
    group would be appropriate.

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:59:50 -0800, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >>I have found a newgroup for Tribes, but did not
    >>see a specific one for UT 2004. Is it ok to post UT 2004 questions to
    >>this
    >>group?
    >
    > FYI, there's a alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 group. No one ever
    > bothered to create a 2004 group, so people tend to post both in here
    > and in the 2003 group. It's pretty laid back, so posting to either
    > group would be appropriate.

    Thanks. Just loaded ut2004. I am not seeing the translocator as an option,
    but perhaps I've not looked around enough. Is there a trick to getting it
    to show up?

    Mud_Jack wrote:
    > Thanks. Just loaded ut2004. I am not seeing the translocator as an
    option,
    > but perhaps I've not looked around enough. Is there a trick to getting it
    > to show up?

    No, it depends on which type of game you are playing. It's common in
    CTF. Probrably depends on which map, too. Haven't played the retail
    version much yet.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
    > Mud_Jack wrote:
    > > Thanks. Just loaded ut2004. I am not seeing the translocator as an
    > option,
    >> but perhaps I've not looked around enough. Is there a trick to getting
    >> it to show up?
    >
    > No, it depends on which type of game you are playing. It's common in CTF.
    > Probrably depends on which map, too. Haven't played the retail version
    > much yet.

    Thanks again. I'd heard that it is limited in use, as compared to the UT99.
    I am getting guilty of using it too much...it is rather addictive.

    OK, I'll see what I discover.

    Ya know, as I've been playing UT2004, I am second guessing myself. Probably
    because it is new and I am not real familiar, but the original 99 version
    seems to have some "fun" element about it that makes it stand out. Once
    again, I've not spent enough time in UT 2004. Maybe because the newer ones
    have a lot more to them, it makes me cherish the relative simpleness and fun
    gameplay of UT99.

    Kind of goes back to the addage of old dogs learning new tricks! : )
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:05:13 -0800, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >"Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
    >> Mud_Jack wrote:
    >> > Thanks. Just loaded ut2004. I am not seeing the translocator as an
    >> option,
    >>> but perhaps I've not looked around enough. Is there a trick to getting
    >>> it to show up?
    >>
    >> No, it depends on which type of game you are playing. It's common in CTF.
    >> Probrably depends on which map, too. Haven't played the retail version
    >> much yet.
    >
    >Thanks again. I'd heard that it is limited in use, as compared to the UT99.
    >I am getting guilty of using it too much...it is rather addictive.
    >
    >OK, I'll see what I discover.
    >
    >Ya know, as I've been playing UT2004, I am second guessing myself. Probably
    >because it is new and I am not real familiar, but the original 99 version
    >seems to have some "fun" element about it that makes it stand out. Once
    >again, I've not spent enough time in UT 2004. Maybe because the newer ones
    >have a lot more to them, it makes me cherish the relative simpleness and fun
    >gameplay of UT99.
    >
    >Kind of goes back to the addage of old dogs learning new tricks! : )

    Welcome to the club. ;-)

    Many UT99 players passed on UT2003. The major complaint was that it
    didn't "feel" right. My opinion is that the player model feels
    "lighter" or more mobile than in UT99 than it does in UT2003. In
    addition, there are newer jump type moves in UT2003 that take a bit of
    time to get used to.

    Anyway, a lot of people stuck with UT99. Then UT2004 came out and
    although the same complaints are still valid for the standard game
    types (DM, CTF, etc.) they introduced a new gametype called Onslaught.
    Onslaught was the thing that finally pulled me from UT99. I haven't
    played UT99 in almost a year now. Check it out... although it's not
    for everyone, you may like it.

    But if you're looking for plain old hardcore DM/CTF action, you are
    probably going to like UT99 the best. YMMV.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:05:13 -0800, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
    >>> option,
    >>>
    >>> No, it depends on which type of game you are playing. It's common in
    >>> CTF.
    >>> Probrably depends on which map, too. Haven't played the retail version
    >>> much yet.
    >>
    >>Thanks again. I'd heard that it is limited in use, as compared to the
    >>UT99.
    >>I am getting guilty of using it too much...it is rather addictive.
    >>
    >>OK, I'll see what I discover.
    >>
    >>Ya know, as I've been playing UT2004, I am second guessing myself.
    >>Probably
    >>because it is new and I am not real familiar, but the original 99 version
    >>seems to have some "fun" element about it that makes it stand out. Once
    >>again, I've not spent enough time in UT 2004. Maybe because the newer
    >>ones
    >>have a lot more to them, it makes me cherish the relative simpleness and
    >>fun
    >>gameplay of UT99.
    >>
    >>Kind of goes back to the addage of old dogs learning new tricks! : )
    >
    > Welcome to the club. ;-)
    >
    > Many UT99 players passed on UT2003. The major complaint was that it
    > didn't "feel" right. My opinion is that the player model feels
    > "lighter" or more mobile than in UT99 than it does in UT2003. In
    > addition, there are newer jump type moves in UT2003 that take a bit of
    > time to get used to.
    >
    > Anyway, a lot of people stuck with UT99. Then UT2004 came out and
    > although the same complaints are still valid for the standard game
    > types (DM, CTF, etc.) they introduced a new gametype called Onslaught.
    > Onslaught was the thing that finally pulled me from UT99. I haven't
    > played UT99 in almost a year now. Check it out... although it's not
    > for everyone, you may like it.
    >
    > But if you're looking for plain old hardcore DM/CTF action, you are
    > probably going to like UT99 the best. YMMV.

    Fair enough. I will look at the onslaught and spend some more time with it.
    Thanks for the advice.

    ~Mud_Jack
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Suddenly, Mud_Jack sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > I've been having a great time with UT99. Just a fantastic multiplayer game.
    > I really enjoy the sniping levels online, as well as multiplayer network
    > gaming at the office.
    >
    > That being said, I have heard quite a bit about Half-Life 2,
    > Tribes:Vengeance and saw a demo of UT 2004. What's the gameplay like in
    > these?

    UT2004, Onslaught mode is a LOT of fun and got a lot of players. It's
    fading off a little now since the game is "old" :) The demo servers
    still tend to be well attended so you should be able to get the flavour
    well. You can also try it out with bots but once you are past newbie
    status you'll realise the bots are too stupid to be much use.

    It's good because it still has some crazy fast fighting, but teamwork
    matters a fair bit and you can also be a defender or driver - more
    things to do, more variety, if you don't want to just fight.

    It's not as fast as UT99 but seems less sluggish than 2003 did (skip
    that one).

    There are lots of other modes of play in 2004, which may or may not
    interest you, such as invasion or bombing run. And it still has good DM
    and varieties of it, and CTF.

    It's great value :D

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Suddenly, Mud_Jack sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Fair enough. I will look at the onslaught and spend some more time with it.
    > Thanks for the advice.

    Make sure you try it online with real human players, if at all possible!
    Though the bots are enough to get the idea, they will do annoying things
    like take off in vehicles by themselves instead of waiting.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > Make sure you try it online with real human players, if at all possible!
    > Though the bots are enough to get the idea, they will do annoying things
    > like take off in vehicles by themselves instead of waiting.

    MMM bots only ;) ??? I've seen alot of humanplayers online that will
    also leave without waiting.

    Wait a second, mayby they are bots two ;) :P
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mud_Jack kirjoitti:
    > "Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mud_Jack wrote:
    >> > Thanks. Just loaded ut2004. I am not seeing the translocator as an
    >>option,
    >>
    >>>but perhaps I've not looked around enough. Is there a trick to getting
    >>>it to show up?
    >>
    >>No, it depends on which type of game you are playing. It's common in CTF.
    >>Probrably depends on which map, too. Haven't played the retail version
    >>much yet.
    >

    > Thanks again. I'd heard that it is limited in use, as compared to the UT99.
    > I am getting guilty of using it too much...it is rather addictive.

    The translocator can be enabled for most of the game modes, but Assault
    and Onslaught are off-limits. Who would use the slower vehicles
    (Scorpion, Hellbender) if you could just quickly translocate back into
    the fray?

    UT2004 also fixed some of the more annoying translocator tricks in
    UT2003. One of my pet peeves in UT2k3's Bombing Run was the translocator
    toss combo. Toss the ball, translocator after it, toss it again etc. One
    could easily go solo through the whole map, because the opportunities to
    frag the ball carrier are rather limited. In UT2004 carrying the ball
    drains the translocator gun, so you can't immediately translocate after
    the ball. Other players can translocate at will, so any defenders will
    quickly catch up to a lone ball carrier. ):-)

    UT2004 also includes an UT Classic mutator for those who are feeling
    homesick. :)

    --
    Mika Hirvonen <hirvox@gmail.com>
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Suddenly, Chris van Bladel <chbEDmicrofixPUNTnl> sprang forth and
    uttered these pithy words:
    > MMM bots only ;) ??? I've seen alot of humanplayers online that will
    > also leave without waiting.

    true, though mainly on the newbie (demo) servers. Most good players I
    see will wait.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    This is a double edged sword. Unless you can develop an understanding
    with a few players quick, I've sat in a vehicle as dumb asses jump
    around doing god knows what. All the while, the other team is seconds
    ahead in setting up the first critical nodes.

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:31:49 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote:

    >Suddenly, Chris van Bladel <chbEDmicrofixPUNTnl> sprang forth and
    >uttered these pithy words:
    >> MMM bots only ;) ??? I've seen alot of humanplayers online that will
    >> also leave without waiting.
    >
    >true, though mainly on the newbie (demo) servers. Most good players I
    >see will wait.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Christoofar wrote:
    > This is a double edged sword. Unless you can develop an understanding
    > with a few players quick, I've sat in a vehicle as dumb asses jump
    > around doing god knows what. All the while, the other team is seconds
    > ahead in setting up the first critical nodes.

    My opinion too. If a passenger isn't available right at moment you
    arrive at the vehicle, especcialy the manta, it is often better to just
    race to the first or second important node immediately. Stay-behinders
    might even consider to wait a few seconds (study the map for a change to
    abide the time!) and then teleport to the first freshly constructed
    nodes. This is faster and less frustrating most of the time.

    I single choke-point maps (like Arctic) it is essential to reach the
    other sides 1st node before they reach yours. After that it is almost
    impossible to regain the initiative.

    Ursa..
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Suddenly, MajorUrsa sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > My opinion too. If a passenger isn't available right at moment you
    > arrive at the vehicle, especcialy the manta, it is often better to just
    > race to the first or second important node immediately. Stay-behinders

    It can't be that simple, because an extra player makes building nodes
    twice as fast (or is it a bit more or less?). So it's usually worthwhile
    to wait a few seconds.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:35:24 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote:

    >Suddenly, MajorUrsa sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> My opinion too. If a passenger isn't available right at moment you
    >> arrive at the vehicle, especcialy the manta, it is often better to just
    >> race to the first or second important node immediately. Stay-behinders
    >
    >It can't be that simple, because an extra player makes building nodes
    >twice as fast (or is it a bit more or less?). So it's usually worthwhile
    >to wait a few seconds.

    It's never simple. <g>

    Let's say you wait by standing on the wing. A noob jumps in, takes
    off and either:

    A: runs into every obstacle on the map, eventually throwing you off.
    B: takes off for portions of the map never seen by human eyes.

    either way, you're screwed. So, you decide to take the driver
    position and then wait for someone to jump on. Now you can count to
    30 while some dufus tries about 14 times to jump on and then shoots
    you.

    I will wait if I recognize the person running toward the vehicle.
    Otherwise.... buh-bye! ;-)

    BTW, if I am running toward a Manta at the same time as another
    player, and that player shoots the Manta with his flak gun, not only
    will I not wait on that person, but I will pound them on the head
    several times with said Manta while making observations about their
    lineage.

Multiplayer Games Video Games