measure

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Essentials: What are some well-built, low-power video cards?

I am in the process of piecing together a computer for mathematical research; I plan on using the P55 platform which does not seem to offer video out (I assume they are assuming anyone purchasing these will be using a dedicated GPU). Anyway, I have the most basic, bare video needs. I just want a stable (preferably nvidia for linux, though it doesn't really matter) gpu which uses little to no power so that I can actually use a monitor. I don't really know where to look for such a thing and I am not particularly sure if it exists. I just don't want any noise or heat coming from the GPU, as I would be completely satisfied with an IGP, they just don't exist on this platforms. If I am mistaken and the P55 mobo's do have video out, please feel free to bring this to my attention.

I feel the need to stress I don't mean low power as in "it can't play modern games" or even "it can't play somewhat older games." I mean, "it uses very little power." I realize what I want probably does not exist, as this is why IGPs were created. However, perhaps there's a little niche for this kind of thing or someone can point me in the right direction.

measure

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

The G210 seems perfect; it should stay out of the way. It's also a bit comforting to know that if I did want to use it for anything, that it wouldn't be a complete lemon.

Are there any manufacturers which are particularly well-known for nicely built cards who make a G210?

measure

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

In this case, these two catch my eye:

EVGA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130541

and

ASUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121385

With (and also without) the rebates, their prices are similar enough. Basically at this level, should I just go with the cheaper of the two?

Thanks

measure

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I am especially glad for your help today! As we were speaking about it, the EVGA card dropped $10 dollars in price. Including the rebate and tax, it cost me $18 on Newegg. I would definitely suggest that anyone wanting a similar card go for it now, before the supplies and deal run out.