New FM1 ECS Motherboard, Windows see half RAM

afonic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hello all,

I just bought a brand new system for my brother, and since he hardly plays any games I dediced to go with Llano.

I got an AMD A8 3850 CPU, the ECS A75F-M2 motherboard, a 400 watt PSU and a 4GB (2x2GB) kit DDR3 1600MHz CORSAIR XMS3 RAM. The later is my problem.

In BIOS I can see that both modules are installed, Windows and CPU-Z can see that I have 2 modules installed BUT they only use 2GB out of 4GB.

See the screenshots: (forgive the Greek, it should be pretty obvious)

01.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

As you can see the system knows that both modules are installed but uses just one and notes the other one as "reserved" (2GB minus 512mb for the IGP I have 1.5GB available)

So far I have tried:

- testing the RAM modules alone. They both work fine (memtest passed) when placed in the module that's away from the CPU slot (SLOT 0). When I place the memory only in the module next to the CPU slot the system won't boot (SLOT 1).

- as some other posts suggested I tried removing the CPU and check for any bent pins, but everything seems fine.

- trying BIOS defaults, all clock speed from 800MHz to 1600MHz, slower timings.

- tried with a Linux live CD, still 1.5GB detected.

I am about to RMA the motherboard, however as the time I have is limited my brother would have to wait for me to be in town again to get a PC fixed or pay someone so I thought I'd ask for some more ideas.

Also, I concerned this may be due to the RAM being not qualified for this motherboard and when they test it, it may come back fine.

Thanks in advance.

afonic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
In the Window's control panel it reads "4GB (1.48GB available)" and in the resource manager the gray area reads "2581MB reserved by hardware".

There are many similar topics in Tom's Hardware.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
could it be the 2581MB is being reserved for the onboard graphics?
try going into BIOS and setting it lower, see if that makes a difference.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
It's reserved for graphics. That's how Windows works, and that's how it's worked for a few versions now. Graphics information is not only stored on the video card's memory, but also in system memory, sort of like a cache. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the board, the memory, or the memory controller in the CPU.

I really don't know what else to tell you other than, it's normal...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The 512mb is specifically reserved as graphics memory. However, Windows still uses a big chunk of system memory to create a form of graphics cache as I explained previously. The 512mb you specifically set aside for the IGP is not part of that. Basically, it's storing information that was once part of the graphics memory within the system memory so the graphics card's memory can get that information again and again quickly.

afonic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I turns out the problem is that the motherboard is incompatible with that RAM as the BIOS is very limiting. (you cannot set the RAM to run at the needed 1.65V). I managed to get the whole 4GB recognised by running them at 800MHz but then the system restarts every now and then.

I'll send the RAM back and get a pair of budget A-data 1333MHz 1.5V modules. I am very disappointed by the motherboard, the voltage options in the BIOS are essential and they are missing, I'd suggest you avoid A75F-M2 it if you want to build an FM1 system or make sure the RAM you are getting is in the supported list.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
It's not going to change anything if you were to use different memory. The CPU-Z pic in your OP shows 4GB running at 1600, which is just what it should be. The fact that 2.5GB is being reserved is perfectly normal. That's 512mb of dedicated video memory for the IGP, as well as 2GB of system memory being reserved as a graphics memory buffer.

I've not used an ECS board in quite a few years, but in order to access advanced settings on some Gigabyte boards, you have to hit CTRL+F1 while in the main BIOS menu. Maybe ECS boards now have something similar. Contact them and find out.

anarki2

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
works for me with this board. i use it with an a6-3500 and 1x4gb 1333mhz ram.

using the latest bios, but worked well with the stock one too (from june).

ramns.png

54506469.png

i changed the idg amount to 256mb, so it seems to work correctly.

and those who say it's totally normal for windows to eat half of the ram for no purpose are clearly high on something.

maybe you should just alter the idg amount, sometimes these forget theirselves, so change it then change it back.