AMD Athlon X2 6400+ overheating?

Hello,

My desktop runs the aforementioned processor and noticed core 2 runs at about 70 degrees celsius after gaming for about 25 minutes. ( Mass Effect 2 in this case. ) From what I understand the operating temperature of my particular processor should be 55-65 celsius. Should I be concerned?

The computer has more than adequate ventilation and is kept as dust free as possible.

Thanks community.
5 answers Last reply
More about athlon 6400 overheating
  1. If it runs higher than 70 degrees then worry.

The 6400 was AMDs attempt at winning with clock speed, they run very hot.

I would advise reseating heatsink and re-applying thermal paste just incase though.
  2. That's what I was thinking Mal, just wasn't sure if I should take the step. I've never done thermal compound by myself, I just have an inkling for it. Any good videos or dummy tutorials out there for it?
  3. Well I applied the thermal compound after following the instructions here and elsewhere, here's hoping I don't have a melted CPU in the next while!
  4. Seems to be running between 31-36 celsius idle, which is an improvement.... will be watching the computer for awhile though. Don't want to run anything CPU intensive for a few days. ( Beyond starting the system up )
  5. Best answer selected by anraleth.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celsius Processors