Sign in with
Your question

4870 and possibly PSU problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2010 10:06:25 PM

Hardware:

1 x Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

1 x Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

1 x ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 x ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I built this computer around christmas 2008, had some problems with the PSU (February 2010) so bought a replacement and RMAd the original. The replacement (listed below) is currently in the computer.

1 x Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

The problem:
Whenever I run a source game (L4D2, TF2, Alien Swarm, CS:S) I can play the game for 2-30 min then my computer crashes, not a BSOD crash, but a literal power shuts off crash.

Things I have done:
I upgraded the video drivers, check temps of CPU, Video Card, MOBO (all within normal ranges)

I7 920 TEMPS @ IDLE
CPU - 42 C
CORE 0 - 56 C
CORE 1 - 56 C
CORE 2 - 52 C
CORE 3 - 52 C
MOBO - 38 C

Video cards temps were always within normal range ~ 41 C idle 49-60C (under load - heavy load)

I can chrome run with flash content (pandora) and gmail open for days and it wont crash. I also can play WoW on max settings with graphics pumped up using the graphics macro for extensive periods of time as well (6 - 12 hours) with ventrilo running the whole time. I also used to be able to use a PCI TV Tuner, but that was old and was giving me a low data rate error (another story for another time).

I was perplexed I took my case apart and checked for things like loose connectors and found that the +4V 4 pin connector to the mobo came dislodged during transportation, I plugged this back in no dice.

I did a memory test and everything came back fine. I am running speed fan right now and the voltages at the bottom of it read

Vcore - 1.05 Volts
+12V - 11.56 Volts
AVcc - 3.36 Volts

in the bios the 12V reads slightly above 12 V.

when the computer crashes it doesnt respond to the power button (turns off and on really quick) and after the first time it turns on fully I get three flashing LEDS 1,3,4 on the 4870 by the power inputs. After a few minutes I can turn it on again and it boots up. Again this whole time the temps are fine I can touch the heat sinks with my hand and they feel room temperature/slightly warm not scalding like I have felt before. I am almost positive this isnt a overheating problem because this computer is in a room with AC running at 60 F.

Anyways I tried running Prime95 to get some more insight to the problem. With any test it crashes anywhere between 10 seconds and a minute or two.

I am waiting for the original PSU to RMA so it will be a few weeks before I have another PSU to test my computer with. Any insight to this would be great.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.
July 24, 2010 1:29:05 AM

I see a few things. First, if those are your idle core temps like you state, 52-56c is a bit high. The problem is they will only go higher once you load a game. Second, if the Vcore really is 1.05v that might also be a problem. Might just be the idle vcore however. Third, the 12V rail is a bit low. 11.4V is the lowest it should go, and your barely above that. When you start to game and the GPU is eating power and everything heats up the 12V rail might be going out of spec. You said the bios reports it as higher so it might be a wrong reading from speedfan. I'd double check who is right by loading a game, and then testing the 12V rail with a multi reader. If its 11.4 or lower you'll want to get a new PSU.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:38:58 AM

I ran WoW, ran around a little, and this is what i get under speed fan.

http://i.imgur.com/Ecg3B.png

Also with prime 95 as soon as it starts it crashes after like 10 - 60 seconds could PSU cause this? If it crashes like Power shuts off crashes could that be caused by a faulty CPU or MOBO
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 2:41:40 AM

Your core temps are to high. 70+ is to much. What are you using for a cooler? Case? Case fans? You need to bring that down.
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:08:06 AM

I am just using case fans, and stock heat sink. should I re apply some arctic silver?

Also something I have noticed, the power at my current apartment is extremely crappy. The picture on my CRT TV Fluctuates size stretches/shrinks and skews kinda like it is slowly being turned off and on. I wonder if the fluctuations in the voltage could be screwing up the system

I ran PCProbe and got seemingly better results... I know software readings don't mean mutch

http://i.imgur.com/5mn9I.png
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:44:04 AM

"case fans" = ??? You may need bigger, or faster, or better ones. At the least you should have one in the front sucking air in, and another up by the CPU helping your PSU fan exhaust air out. Having a blow hole fan or side fan may or might not help. Something better then stock heatsink will help a lot. You might be good if you just dusted the sink and cleaned the fans.

Seeing as the bios and PCProbe agree about 12V you can probably write off speedfans results. 42c for the temp I'm assuming is still at idle, which is rather warm. I still think I'd work on cooling the computer to see if that helps.
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:46:25 AM

right now its idling at 39C I have 2 front fans, a top fan a rear fan and a my heat sink has a fan I thought I7s were supposed to have a little hotter temperatures?
m
l
!