Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2010 10:29:39 PM

Hi!

I have a problem with my computer. It goes off some time after starting games. I understand that it is most likely because of overheating or power supply issues, but I don't know for sure. My components are:

AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M4A78 PRO AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

PowerColor AX4890 1GBD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified

HEC 6C28BB8S Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200

I'm thinking about changing computer case for a one with better ventilation, but I don't know for sure that will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for all advices!
Nikolay.

More about : computer turns gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2010 11:37:39 PM

You should get ATI's overdrive software and use it to monitor your graphics card fan speed and temp.

Do I read your case right: a single 80mm exhaust fan? That is pretty feeble airflow with a hot card like a 4890 in there. Some kind of front intake would be a good idea.

When was the last time you dusted your computer out? It could be the heat sink fins are clogged with dust and not cooling properly. Check both the CPU and graphics card cooling fins.
m
l
August 27, 2010 11:44:09 PM

About computer case you are right.

Dust cleaning didn't help. I tried.
I keep the computer case open all the time to let it be cooler but still it doesn't help, at least doesn't resolve the issue completely. I dust computer out regularly.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2010 11:53:20 PM

Get speedfan to monitor your CPU temp and overdrive to monitor your graphics card temp. See which is overheating.

Could be your CPU heatsink is not tight on the CPU anymore, or the thermal goo has broken down and you need to re-install it.

If you keep running your temps up to auto shutoff, you risk permanently damaging things in there so dont be lazy about finding out whats wrong.
m
l
August 28, 2010 12:01:45 AM

I did it before.
As I remember graphic card was ~80-90, CPU was lower. I will remeasure temps of CPU and video to be sure.
Can it be motherboard? There is now fan on it, just passive cooling system.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2010 12:22:23 AM

IT si possible the chipset on the motherboard is overheating.

90 is the top of the safe zone for GPUs. CPUs you generally dont want ever going over 70, and consistently below 60 is a good idea.
m
l
August 28, 2010 4:55:54 AM

Checked temperatures:
GPU keeps around 70-80 (but computer didn't shut down during this test session)
CPU was ~50. Can not check MB temperature.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2010 5:46:48 PM

The temps stayed withing specs and the computer didnt shut down. Thats normal operations. Either keep monitoring and wait until it does shotdown or get some stress test software like prime95 and see if you can force something to happen.
m
l
August 31, 2010 10:04:15 PM

I ran Everest and Furmark simultaniously. GPU temp sometimes was reaching temp >95 C. Computer didn't crash but Everest reported hardware fail and stopper stress test. So it seems that indeed problem is with video card. But I don't understand why? My computer case is open and still I have ~57 C GPU temp while doing nothing. Do I have a defect in my video card?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 10:22:41 PM

Sounds like the cooler on your video card is likely a problem. Maybe the thermal goo has broken down and you really need to pull it off and re-install it? I would be tempted to look up some instructions and then disassemble, clean and rebuild the video card cooling system.
m
l
August 31, 2010 11:06:12 PM

Yes, I just finished with disassembling/reassembling. Idle temp is the same. Do you think an addition of some external cooler to the case can help? Or changing the case for better one?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 11:17:45 PM

If running without the side panel helps, then changing the airflow might well help.
m
l
September 4, 2010 12:05:22 AM

I replaced termal compound on GPU, it helped. GPU temp in Furmark is ~75. It was a cheapest first step to begin with, so I tried termal compound replacement.
Dndhatcher, thanks a lot for all replies!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2010 3:32:27 AM

What type of hardware fail? I'm not familiar with everest, see what specifically prime95 says.

But if the PSU can handle running those tests it isn't the problem. Gaming would just be less power.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:49:23 AM

I couldn't find it. It wasn't even indicated in log file. Program just said that hardware fail has happened without specifying details. I will try prime95 and game tests on the weekend, hope now it will work fine.

P.S.: Nice nik, LjeDmitry )
m
l
September 7, 2010 2:00:03 AM

Still have this shut down problem, maybe not so often. Temperatures in games are fine now (for CPU and GPU), I was playing fine today for couple hours. But when I started game once again in the evening my PC has shut down after 5 minutes play. One detail: to turn computer back on, I have to switch power unit off and on.

May it be motherboard problem? My MB m4a78 pro has only passive cooling system on chipset, without fan. Different programs report about the same low temperature of MB (~40 C), but I can feel the radiator temperature is much higher. Does anybody have similiar issues with this MB? Or can any one suggest what can be a problem?

Thank you, for all advices.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2010 5:40:56 PM

Having to hit the PSU switch may inidcate the PSU is likely the problem. The Rosewill green 700 may not be the same quality as the rest of the rosewill green line. Proximon indicated the good quality probably stops at the 600W model and the 700 may be built by a lesser quality manufacturer. The reason I stay away from Rosewill PSUs is they contract their PSUs all over the world and too often with cheap, poor quality companies.

Do you have access to a PSU you could borrow to see if that solves your problem?
m
l
September 9, 2010 2:54:59 AM

No, unfortunately I can not easily borrow PSU powerful enough. I think I will look in the internet about problems with this PSU and with PSUs in general.
Thanks!
m
l
!