Is pentium 4 ht compatible with windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
i am using an dell optiplex gx280 system(small form factor)with 512 mb of ram intel 915g series of graphics media. i have just installed both xp and windows 7 to it which runned smoothly so i strongly suggest that p4 series which includes hyperthreading is an great asset to intel group even the same processor can run GTA or most advanced games without any stuck (provided increase your RAM)

I kinda agree.
Alot of people believe the P4 is obsolete and useless but I strongly disagree.
A strong P4 3.0ghz or higher with 2gb ram and a decent GPU (ati 850 or nvidia 7600 and up) can still handle most games though at low settings and be a strong "household performer" meaning it can be great for office work and internet browsing.
On my system (see configuration) I have Netflix streaming,2 IE's browsing,DVD Flick encoding,TV on WInTV usb,outlook with no lag and about %60 cpu usage.
On this forum you have heavy duty gamer enthusiasts so their needs require heavy duty hardware and to them a P4 is useless but for most users out there a well built P4 system (lets not forget higher end Athlons too) can do anything they need.
Nowadays %80 of people buying new systems dont even need half the power they have.
Their are people browsing and checking email with I7's!

suteck

Distinguished
Me Too. I have a p4 2.4 GHz with 4 GB's ram (i know it doesn't use it all) and an agp ATI X1900 and it runs Win 7 without a glitch and the gaming works well enough. Nothing spectacular but they're still playable at the lower res.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The P4 can still be viable but has limited SATA Ports and limited PCI E support such as PCI E x 1 due to the Motherboard technology it utilizes. I have seen Win 7 on P4 machines with 256 MB RAM actually boot but barely. I certainly couldnt go back to the technology. Video Editing for instance thrives using Core 2 Quad (not Duo) and the i series machines. Also if you wanted to run an AV check then the P4 will run out of headroom in the multi tasking environment. As software becomes more demanding the P4 will only struggle more and more.

Thats because the x1900 was a killer card "back in the day".
My wife has a HP d530 2.4 1gb ram ATI 9600xt.
It runs a tv tuner capturing a security cam 24/7 and at the same time
I can play a avi file or stream netflix to my tv and browse on the monitor.
I think young guys (under roughly 25) dont realize what the older tech is capable of.
Also alot of "geeks" have more money than knowledge and think it has to be the latest cpu/gpu they see reviewed and the most expensive setup to be worthwhile.
I call them "Computer Snobs".
More money than brains.
I love when I see somebody complaining about their Core I series running slow because they dont know about bloatware and viruses etc.
Make my day!

TheYoungin

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Im 14 years old and have a p4 2.4 Ghz HT skt 478 (northwood core) with 3.5 GB RAM and an HIS ATI HD 4670 1 GB GDDR3 SDRAM AGP and an MSI mobo. OS: Win7 Ultimate x86. my old fart runs like a champ. i run high res/high strain games with some choppieness and low res games with ease and smoothness. i had bottlenecks within the computer due to the video card being so new compared o the p4 and the mobo, high res game example: Skyrim and a lowerr res game: GTA i have the money for the newer stuff. ive had my eye on the i7 2700k and a msi military class 3 board with an asus ares vid. card hbut im happy with my old p4 : )

Status
Not open for further replies.