Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of taking a leap, guidance appreciated.

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2010 10:48:09 PM

Hello there chums!

New to the site, and I must say what a wealth of knowledge there is here - on many occasion a great deal of questions have been answered from a simple google search revealing this site, but now is the time for me to register however, as I would like to ask you for a little bit of guidance and critique if you please.

Oh, before I forget, the monitor I hope to use is a 24" Dell @ 1920*1080 (if this is unrealistic I am open to suggestions) Also this is going to be a pure gaming pc. Am going to order hopefully in the next month or two at most.

Also since I am from the UK I will be getting screwed & using scan.co.uk or ebuyer.co.uk if they are much cheaper. My budget however is about £1500.

Graphics Card
1) Asus ATI 5970 - £497

CPU
2) i7 950 Quad 3.06Ghz - £234

Memory
3) 6GB Corsair Tri - Dominator 2000Mhz - £182

MotherBoard
4) Asus P6X58D-Extreme - £144.72

PSU
5) 850W Corsair CMPSU-850TXUK - £105

Storage
6) 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 6Gb/s - £70

Case
7) Xclio Blackhawk ATX & Fans - £69

In total this comes to about £1,320 all at scan.co.uk though this is all I have in my basket except SATA cables and a dvd-rw. In the excitement my mind has gone blank and I cannot think of anything else I could need to get it all set up and running (I have keyboard/mouse/power cables). Should I replace the stock HS and Fan on the i7?

One other worry I found on another forum, people talking about needing something bigger than a quad 3Ghz CPU in order to get the most out of their 5970 (avoiding the bottleneck) will I need to OC the i7 in that case or does this not apply to i7's?

Alternatively, is it worth me looking at NVidia gpu's? I ask this because I feel like I will be missing out on those cuda cores and physx goodness & I hear that ATI's drivers/support have some troubles/glitches with some games.

Many many thanks in advanced, I am really buzzed about this. (gaming on a mid 2009 top/custom spec macbook pro for the last year haha)
August 27, 2010 11:03:29 PM

Hi. If the build's mainly for gaming, I'd go with i5 and scale down to 4gb of RAM. This will save you some cash. The i5 will rock any game out there and I doubt you'd need more than 4gb for anything in a straight gaming pc. Have fun with it!
August 27, 2010 11:07:44 PM

That rig looks fantastic. You've obviously done your research :) 

That monitor is not unrealistic at all. I play modern games at 1680x1050 on my 3 year old computer with no troubles whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry about a new heatsink unless you're interested in overclocking at some point in time. If this interests you, we can make some recommendations.

The GPU often overpowers the CPU, and it's true that it will most likely be a bottleneck of sorts. However, the performance this rig will give you will make you forget entirely the topic. Overclocking will help squeeze more performance out of your CPU if you want it that badly.

With GPU's, it's entirely down to preference, imo. I'm a nVidia fanboi, always have been. However, the new 5000 series ATI cards are serious performers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people. Some games run better on nVidia, some better on ATI. You win some, you lose some. As mentioned, it's mostly down to preference.

Good luck with your build. Feel free to ask any more questions if they arise.

EDIT: in response to thestrangebrew's comment (he beat me), a rig like the one he recommended will still dominate anything you throw at it. The rig you suggested will likely last a bit longer however. So you need to decide between spending a bit more now and having the computer more future-proofed, or saving some and having to upgrade a tad sooner than you would have to otherwise.
August 28, 2010 3:28:39 PM

Awesome, thanks for your replies.
I forgot to mention this is a little bit of a one off, so I would like for this build to last as long as possible.

So lets say I want to OC in future, I'm guessing all I need is better cooling right? Or is that motherboard going to hold me back?

I would rather go for an Nvidia card too, but on paper the 5970 (for now) looks too good to be true, yet with benchmarks to back it up. I even thought about getting two GTX 480's but I found another benchmark with a chap pitting his 5970 against his set of GTX480's and the 5970 still comes out on top on most areas. I think I have decided - Im going for the 5970 - I suppose I can always get the green team's 9800 just for physx haha.

I feel Im getting closer!
!