Biostar A880G+ Won't boot Win7

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

I just bought a new motherboard (Biostar A880G+) to go with an AMD Athlon II X3 (3.2 GHz) and 4 GB of DDR3 1333 memory. These are the only components I am adding to my rig.

After getting everything hooked up and double-checking all cables, the Mobo POST'ed, gave me a system check with CPU and system temps (all nominal). After this, it went to the Windows Error Recovery screen (basically a GRUB with options to restart computer with system repair or normal start). I believe this appeared because the computer had been forcefully shut down and not restarted since I installed the new components.

When I select Start Windows Normally, it appears as if the comp attempts to boot, but immediately after, it restarts and repeats the BIOS and POST. It does this indefinitely if I keep selecting Start Normally.

Naturally, I checked the boot order in the BIOS. It was trying to boot from the floppy, so I set it to boot from by system drive, then the CD ROM, then the floppy. I repeated the above and still got a never-ending loop with NO BOOT.

So I tried the startup repair. It didn't help, but after trying it the third time I looked at the diagnostic report. It read:

>Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
> [same] 02: [same]
> [same] 03: unknown
> [same] 04: 21200520
> [same] 05: Auto FailOver
> [same] 06: 3
> [same] 07: CorruptAcl
> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
> Locate ID: 1033

Another dialog read (after listing many checks, no error codes, and times (ms)):

> Root cause found:
> unspecified changes to system configuration

I tried checking the memory, using only one stick of memory (the 1333 MHz memory I ordered is compliant with the mobo), unplugging USB peripherals, plugging monitors into the mobo instead of the video card. I suspect Windows is simply being prissy at seeing unfamiliar hardware and therefore not booting.

This whole affair has me disappointed and ticked off, as not only have I had to reinstall all my old parts, but I intend to RMA this mainboard and get a different one if I can't solve this problem.

I would be intensely grateful of any help I can get with this.
dorker

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Did you install the motherboard drivers?

I would guess that you are still running the drivers for the previous motherboard (hence the message about "unspecified changes to system configuration". These drivers cover the chip set and any motherboard chips (including things like motherboard video).

Don't RMA the motherboard until you install the drivers - they are normally supplied on CD with the motherboard.