Sign in with
Your question

Dell studio xps 435mt for an ssd upgrade

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2012 3:38:55 PM

Hello,
My MB is an X58 with 3 free PCIE X1 sluts and support for SATA 3G. I am looking for a 250GB SSD to swap with my HDD as a booting drive.

My BIOS does not support AHCI.

I would greatly appreciate if you could advise me whether a SATA 6G PCIE card would be useful or not and what are the best available route to follow?

Thanks for you all.

December 8, 2012 6:21:50 PM

O' dear!

More than 60 reviews and no single reply. I am disappointed.

However, I kept reading in this forum and elsewhere and I have decided to take the plunge and buy either Samsung 830 or the 840 pro.

Perhaps one of the moderators or an expert visitor may be kind enough to advise me on which of them would be be most useful with my motherboard which only support SATA 3G and no AHCI.

Thanks in anticipation.
a c 124 G Storage
December 9, 2012 3:42:16 PM

1) You just buy the SSD and connect to the SATAII_0 port. In the BIOS, you need to set the RAID mode before you install the OS like win7 or win8, but not other HDD.

2) If you want to buy the SATA 6G PCIE add-in card, you have to buy one at least PCIEx4 card to get the full performances from the SSD and it is not cheap.

3) If you use the SSD for regular usage then you just connect the ssd to SATAII, and you will not feel the difference between SSD In SATAII and SATAIII port. You only can see the differences in benchmark scores.

4) Either Samsung 830 or the 840 pro is great and go for it.
January 6, 2013 10:28:11 PM

Thanks cin19 for your comments.

I think I will stay with my MB SATA 3GB at present and forget about SATA 6G card.

I took the plunge and ordered Samsung 840 pro 250 GB, which hopefully will be delivered in a few days time. I will install it as my win 7 system drive.

My BIOS SATA options are RAID and ATA. You mentioned I needed to set the RAID mode before I install win 7. Any reason? What would happen if I leave it on ATA. Perhaps you will be kind enough to explain it to me please?

Cheers!
!