SSD Boots only when "Select OS" appears, HDD and SSD have Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflex135

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
So I've been running a regular SATA HD (BIOS is at ACHI), and just bought a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro. I have a few HD's for storage too. I left everything as it was and installed the SSD in a reg SATA3 port (tried both btw).

Gigabyte UD5H Mobo, f7 Bios
i5 3570k @ 4.7 Ghz, 8GB Ripjaws

I left my reg HD with installed windows 7 64 Ultimate connected.

I put in the Win 7 disk and installed Win 7 Pro to my SSD.

That went flawlessly. After restarting I get prompted every time to choose which operating system I would like to boot. Both read exactly like this:

Windows 7
Windows 7

1 is SSD, 2 is HDD.

If I remove all HD's and/or select the SSD as first/only boot option, I get a screen with a different message instead:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..."

I have tried updating firmware - no update needed.
I have tried using all sata ports, same thing.

The only way to get into the SSD's Windows 7 is to have my HD with Win 7 also installed, and to select the right OS when prompted.

I have limited knowledge of SSD's honestly. How do I get this to boot from the SSD without the other HD's so I can wipe my other HD with the installed windows 7?

Solution
if you go into Startup and Recovery under System Properties window (get there by right-clicking Computer in START menu, PROPERTIES, Advanced System Settings) - you can deselect Time to display list of operating systems, or set the time to 2 seconds or what have you

other than that, remove the HDD and reinstall windows fresh on the SSD to make sure the MBR is only on the SSD

dingo07

Distinguished
if you go into Startup and Recovery under System Properties window (get there by right-clicking Computer in START menu, PROPERTIES, Advanced System Settings) - you can deselect Time to display list of operating systems, or set the time to 2 seconds or what have you

other than that, remove the HDD and reinstall windows fresh on the SSD to make sure the MBR is only on the SSD

Solution

Reflex135

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Darn, that's what I was hoping you wouldn't say! I knew I should have removed my other drives lol. Just finished reinstallation. It works fine now. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS