HD to SSD migration [HELP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daratum

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Im having some technical difficulty migrating the data from my HD over to my Samsung 840 pro SSD. I attempted to use the included Data Migration but I got the message "cloning failed an error occurred while defragmenting the disk". I attempted to use Norton Ghost to copy my SSD but it required a product key.

At the moment I am defragging my hard drive and will try again but in the event this does not work I was wondering if any of you have any programs you'd recommend for transferring data from a HD to SSD?

Daratum

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Ugh, I'd rather not have to pay to migrate my data. I'll wait to see if another shows up, thanks though.

Andrew74

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I know this is an old thread but it was the first link in google so for everyone else who had this problem and don't want to spend money for something you already have just follow the tutorial below.

If your getting the error "cloning failed an error occurred while defragmenting the disk". It can be fixed by following the steps below.

1. Turn off internet
2. Disable windows firewall & anti virus software
3. Open disk manager ( [Windows Logo + R] diskmgmt.msc )
4. When Disk Manger Opens you will be prompted to initialize the disk. Select MBR not GBT. Then press finish.
5. Run program as admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.