Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Graphics Card Advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 24, 2010 4:02:54 AM

Need help chooseing graphics card, dont actually own the computer yet, i know all of the parts i want except for the graphics card......

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 20/september/2010

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Multimedia usage and general usage

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.msy.com.au

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 945 3.0GHz
Mobo: Asus M4N98TD-EVO
Hard Drive: Seagate SATA 500GB
Optical: SATA Samsung
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz G.Skill-NT
Case: Antec 300
PSU: Corsair TX-650watt, Those are just ideas without graphics card....

OVERCLOCKING:Maybe

SLI/Crossfire: Possibly in the future but not yet....

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900, is a 20" monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want it to be able to run all new games full graphics but budget of $250-350.

More about : graphics card advice

a c 153 U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 5:41:24 AM

Well since you are using that motherboard I would say go with the 460 1GB and in the future you can SLI it. That is what I would do.

You could also get a 470 as it is also within your price range and its a high-end card.

Either of these options will let you max out games at that resolution, with Metro 2033 excluded.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 5:48:10 AM

Im from Australia the 470 is out of my price range, Forgot to say that $250-350 in Australian dollars
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 6:08:00 AM

Oh ok that changes things up a bit.

I think 350 AUD is about 315 USD.

In that case I would go with the GTX 460 1GB overclock it, and in the future you can pick up another if you need to.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 7:17:09 AM

What exactly is overclock and how do i do it?
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 7:24:15 AM

westham101 said:
What exactly is overclock and how do i do it?


It increases the cards performance by pushing the clock farther then they come at the factory. With graphics cards it's quite safe and the 460 is very easy to overclock. All you need is either RivaTuner, or MSI Afterburn (which is what I perfer). You just move sliders and stress test your GPU afterwards.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 5:24:42 PM

Definitely go with the GTX 460 1Gb, I just bought one and love it. It's cheap, powerful and can setup a pretty mean SLI config in the future.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 5:37:58 PM

save the $35 and get the Gigabyte 768MB GTX460.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 5:47:25 PM

Timop said:
save the $35 and get the Gigabyte 768MB GTX460.


Great advise, but I'd go with EVGA, great quality, lifetime warranty, step-up program, all for the same price
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 5:55:19 PM

milbrandt1 said:
Great advise, but I'd go with EVGA, great quality, lifetime warranty, step-up program, all for the same price

Unfortunately MSY only has the Gigabyte model avaliable.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 6:05:02 PM

Timop said:
Unfortunately MSY only has the Gigabyte model avaliable.


Very unfortunate, but hey Gigabyte is great too
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 6:10:10 PM

Its sorta sad EVGA is the only decent non-generic brand left in the N camp, XFX went red, BFG went out, and Galaxy was always just alright, and their new "detachable fan" sucks.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 7:24:08 PM

Timop said:
Its sorta sad EVGA is the only decent non-generic brand left in the N camp, XFX went red, BFG went out, and Galaxy was always just alright, and their new "detachable fan" sucks.


I wouldn't go with XFX anymore anyways, not because theyre strictly ATI but their quality isn't even close to what it used to be, and they're probably one their way out anyways. What would you want with a card that has no support?

You're definitely right though EVGA and Gigabyte rule the Nvidia cards. It was pretty interesting to see Palit in the run with the 1Gb Gtx 460, but i've heard the U.S. made ones have a heatsink issue, I'll stick with the reliable ones.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 7:26:28 PM

I also agree, go with the GTX460. The 768mb will probably do you, if you were playing on 1920 x 1080 I would have recommend the 1gb version
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 7:31:19 PM

milbrandt1 said:
I wouldn't go with XFX anymore anyways, not because theyre strictly ATI but their quality isn't even close to what it used to be, and they're probably one their way out anyways. What would you want with a card that has no support?

You're definitely right though EVGA and Gigabyte rule the Nvidia cards. It was pretty interesting to see Palit in the run with the 1Gb Gtx 460, but i've heard the U.S. made ones have a heatsink issue, I'll stick with the reliable ones.

XFX is still good, better than Visiontek/Diamond/Biostar anyways, and they still have their lifetime warranties for most products.

Its funny how Mobo manufactures (ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte) are taking over the GPU business on both sides.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 7:54:17 PM

Timop said:
XFX is still good, better than Visiontek/Diamond/Biostar anyways, and they still have their lifetime warranties for most products.

Its funny how Mobo manufactures (ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte) are taking over the GPU business on both sides.


Everything i've heard about XFX customer service is bad, no personal experience though.

I hear you, I've always had Asus boards and and EVGA GPUs, I was thinking about trying an ASUS GPU but I can't let go of all the bonuses and sure-handed quality of EVGA.

It's also funny how CPU manufacturers try to create quality boards and fail :D  cough* Intel cough*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 8:00:03 PM

milbrandt1 said:
Everything i've heard about XFX customer service is bad, no personal experience though.

I hear you, I've always had Asus boards and and EVGA GPUs, I was thinking about trying an ASUS GPU but I can't let go of all the bonuses and sure-handed quality of EVGA.

It's also funny how CPU manufacturers try to create quality boards and fail :D  cough* Intel cough*

Nah, Intel boards are pretty decent. My P4 board still works flawlessly after thing that shouldn't happen to Mobos happened anyways. and the SATA cable that came with it felt alot better than the ones from Gigabyte XD. As long as you dont OC, the feature-set trumps the ASUS/Gigabyte/MSIs in the same prive range.

Though there are plenty of nits to pick, primarily like how HALF OF THE PCB IS EMPTY on a ATX board and the BIOS designer has NO SENSE of ergonomics AT ALL.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 8:15:21 PM

Timop said:
Nah, Intel boards are pretty decent. My P4 board still works flawlessly after thing that shouldn't happen to Mobos happened anyways. and the SATA cable that came with it felt alot better than the ones from Gigabyte XD. As long as you dont OC, the feature-set trumps the ASUS/Gigabyte/MSIs in the same prive range.

Though there are plenty of nits to pick, primarily like how HALF OF THE PCB IS EMPTY on a ATX board and the BIOS designer has NO SENSE of ergonomics AT ALL.


Really? I wouldn't even put intel in the top 5 as far as motherboards. The BIOS (like you said) is brutal, overclocking isn't the easiest, if you are able at all. And so many brands such as Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, EVGA, DFI, ASRock all offer great products for computer enthusiasts.

If I was suggesting a board for and everyday user (browsing, email, solitaire) I'd maybe suggest an Intel, buts thats only if its dirt cheap. There are so many better brands for performance seeking users.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 11:05:03 PM

Going with the 1GB GTX460
m
0
l
!