Will a 550w cover this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joerge

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I am currently in this setup that is stated below but have a phenom II 810 and a radeon 4890 and everything is running fine. but the new cpu will jump in power while im sure the video card will drop. with the changes will my thermaltake 550w psu be enough or will i have to go a bit more power?

Phenom II 965 deneb
MSI 890FXA
8g ddr3 ram 2gx4
ATI Radeon 6870
Haf 922 case
650g 7200 rpm
Lite on Dvd-rw drive

Solution

Joerge, unless you dont mind throwing your $ around, I would say you dont need nearly that much power at all. Newegg's PSU Calc gives the highest readings over any other Calc out there besides maybe Corsair's. 700w is almost enuff to power a nice i7 machine with some top of the line GPU's today in a X-fire/SLI configuration, you can decide but 700w is over-kill for what you need.

joerge

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I tallied my stuff on the newegg egg psu calculator and i am definitely walking on a thin line already i might be underpowered atm. I am going to ante up and pick up a modular cooler master 700w i was looking at i should be good. thanks for the input guys i greatly appreciate it.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Joerge,

You can use this tool here: Antec Power Supply Calculator and input your system specs into to get a good idea on how much power your PC will need to run.

I put in your specs and guess on a few extra things (USB, sound card and fans) I also used the ATI 5850 in place of the 6870 because they have not added them yet, power consumption is similar on those cards. Your system should be able to run just fine with the PSU you have.

Enjoy your new parts :D

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Joerge, unless you dont mind throwing your $ around, I would say you dont need nearly that much power at all. Newegg's PSU Calc gives the highest readings over any other Calc out there besides maybe Corsair's. 700w is almost enuff to power a nice i7 machine with some top of the line GPU's today in a X-fire/SLI configuration, you can decide but 700w is over-kill for what you need.

Solution
A good 550W (brands like Corsair, Seasonic) should be plenty for your build.. Unless of course you've plans of doubling up on the video card in near future in which case, you'll need to get a higher wattage rated PSU (the brand matters again)..

joerge

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
i read around more and came up with the conclusion that i don't need that much power, i did find a really nice XFX 650w that is 80 bronze with a 30 dollar rebate, i got rid of my thermaltake on craigs list for 50, so i upgraded to a much nicer psu for 10 USD, im pretty happy with my decision whether or not i needed it, but altogether thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. overall i have more than enough good clean power on one rail and piece of mind. thanks guys.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi joerge,

That is a nice bit of business work you did there new PSU for $10 :D , the 650w will be good for you and with the extra headroom should run quieter, cooler, and more efficently, so all around win for you. Also the XFX should be made by Seasonic if am am correct and they are the tp of the food chain when it comes to PSU's these days.

I am glad you were able to upgrade for such a nice price and give yourself more peace of mind in the process. :)

shovenose

Distinguished

yes xfx psus are sesonic and are very very very very good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.