Repair option not available

June 22, 2005 6:03:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service pack CD
and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is no repair
option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other words, Setup fails
to find either of my XP installations (c and d drive) and offer me teh
chance to repair

What's wrong?

More about : repair option

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Have you got an OEM XP CD? If so, a lot of them won't offer the 'Repair'
option, only a 'Clean' install. Have a look through the documentation that
came with the CD, you may some help there.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"! Anong" <nonya@business.com> wrote in message
> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service pack CD
> and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is no repair
> option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other words, Setup fails
> to find either of my XP installations (c and d drive) and offer me teh
> chance to repair
>
> What's wrong?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Am hesitant about this - however having done several repairs in the past I
seem to recall that the repair option is not offered until one or two
screens after setup begins.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"! Anong" <nonya@business.com> wrote in message
> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service pack CD
> and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is no repair
> option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other words, Setup fails
> to find either of my XP installations (c and d drive) and offer me teh
> chance to repair
>
> What's wrong?

Is the drive correctly detected? If it has incorrect parameters to that of
the original install it may not be seen correctly.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Probably because your system time is incorrect.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:evOjduodFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
! Anong <nonya@business.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service pack CD
> and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is no repair
> option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other words, Setup fails
> to find either of my XP installations (c and d drive) and offer me teh
> chance to repair
>
> What's wrong?
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"! Anong" <nonya@business.com> wrote in message

> What's wrong?

Fix your clock time.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

! Anong wrote:
> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service
> pack CD and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is
> no repair option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other
> words, Setup fails to find either of my XP installations (c and d
> drive) and offer me teh chance to repair
>
> What's wrong?

Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to fix
their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore (GMT+0800),
yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700). And before you say
anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts the time for their own
time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow morning here in the UK!

Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
you'll just end up killfiled.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Boot the CD. Select the option to Install Windows. Press F8 to accept the
License Agreement. The installer will look for a previous version of XP. If
one is found you have the option to Try to repair by pressing 'R'. If none
is found then the install moves to the partitioning screen.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"! Anong" <nonya@business.com> wrote in message
> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service pack CD
> and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is no repair
> option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other words, Setup fails
> to find either of my XP installations (c and d drive) and offer me teh
> chance to repair
>
> What's wrong?

June 22, 2005 6:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Are you telling me that after all this complaining and bitching to microsoft
about having no repair option, that all I had to do was install a little
longer to get it? Why didn't microsoft tell me that? That's all I wanted to
know. What difference does it make what system I have, all I wanted to know
was where the repair option was on my cd.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:34 AM

Al Romanosky wrote:

> Am hesitant about this - however having done several repairs in the past I
> seem to recall that the repair option is not offered until one or two
> screens after setup begins.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes I believe that is correct. You just start the setup and at some point
the option to repair an installation comes up. If it don't just go to the
last step before you format a partition then quit.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Al Romanosky" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o AjJPGpdFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Am hesitant about this - however having done several repairs in the past I
> seem to recall that the repair option is not offered until one or two
> screens after setup begins.

> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
> Myers, FL

June 22, 2005 6:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

STFU
>! Anong wrote:
>> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service
>> pack CD and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is
>> no repair option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other
>> words, Setup fails to find either of my XP installations (c and d
>> drive) and offer me teh chance to repair
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
> Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
> myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to
> fix their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore
> (GMT+0800), yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700). And
> before you say anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts the
> time for their own time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow morning
> here in the UK!
>
> Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
> you'll just end up killfiled.

June 22, 2005 6:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

He got plenty of helpful advice, none of which included your tirade. Who
would want your garbage advice?
>! Anong wrote:
>> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service
>> pack CD and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is
>> no repair option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other
>> words, Setup fails to find either of my XP installations (c and d
>> drive) and offer me teh chance to repair
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
> Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
> myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to
> fix their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore
> (GMT+0800), yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700). And
> before you say anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts the
> time for their own time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow morning
> here in the UK!
>
> Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
> you'll just end up killfiled.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:34 AM

"j-d" <jd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Are you telling me that after all this complaining and bitching to
> microsoft
> about having no repair option, that all I had to do was install a little
> longer to get it? Why didn't microsoft tell me that? That's all I wanted
> know. What difference does it make what system I have, all I wanted to
> know
> was where the repair option was on my cd.

How about this type www.google.com and do a search for How To Repair XP or
How To Run A Repair Install or something similar.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Consider it Water over the Dam. Now you know and you can write home about
it. Don't be too upset I can understand your frustration but honestly we
all live and learn.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"j-d" <jd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Are you telling me that after all this complaining and bitching to
microsoft
> about having no repair option, that all I had to do was install a little
> longer to get it? Why didn't microsoft tell me that? That's all I wanted
> know. What difference does it make what system I have, all I wanted to
know
> was where the repair option was on my cd.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

While she may have been to strong in her approach, you are as well putting
yourself in the same group as her.
In any event date time incorrectly set can cause a multitude of issues and
is a major cause of problems so it should be corrected.
It is not the cause of the issue in this thread, but it may be the cause of
other issues particularly but not limited to security issues.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
> STFU

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
>> myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to
>> fix their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore
>> (GMT+0800), yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700). And
>> before you say anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts the
>> time for their own time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow
>> morning here in the UK!
>>
>> Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
>> you'll just end up killfiled.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

That "I put my self in the same group as her" is ridiculous. Put some
thought into your next opinion.

news:o rZJdTrdFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> While she may have been to strong in her approach, you are as well putting
> yourself in the same group as her.
> In any event date time incorrectly set can cause a multitude of issues and
> is a major cause of problems so it should be corrected.
> It is not the cause of the issue in this thread, but it may be the cause
> of other issues particularly but not limited to security issues.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
>> STFU
>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>>> Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
>>> myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to
>>> fix their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore
>>> (GMT+0800), yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700).
>>> And before you say anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts
>>> the time for their own time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow
>>> morning here in the UK!
>>>
>>> Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
>>> you'll just end up killfiled.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Not ridiculous since you responded rudely to her.
Perhaps you should not tell others how to behave when you behave similarly.

--

"PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
> That "I put my self in the same group as her" is ridiculous. Put some
> thought into your next opinion.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?

news:o wX06crdFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Not ridiculous since you responded rudely to her.
> Perhaps you should not tell others how to behave when you behave
> similarly.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
>> That "I put my self in the same group as her" is ridiculous. Put some
>> thought into your next opinion.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Not at all, that is why the word "Perhaps" is there.

--

> Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Huh? Non sequitur.Has nothing to do with your high opinion of yourself.
Stick to the computer stuff and leave the human relations stuff
to......................well you know.

news:o 8L8ljrdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Not at all, that is why the word "Perhaps" is there.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
>> Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:03:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Is PLL being a real Pill?

> Huh? Non sequitur.Has nothing to do with your high opinion of yourself.
> Stick to the computer stuff and leave the human relations stuff
> to......................well you know.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8L8ljrdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Not at all, that is why the word "Perhaps" is there.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?

June 22, 2005 2:22:43 PM

In news:o 8L8ljrdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Jupiter Jones [MVP] <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> had this to say:

> Not at all, that is why the word "Perhaps" is there.
>

> "PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
>> Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?

Well Jupiter, there comes a time when all you can do is sigh... "That old
mare she aint what she used to be, she aint what she used to be." I'm still
grateful usenet exists, I just long for the 'old days.'

Reminds me of the adage, "You can lead a horse to the water..."

Here's an odd way to think about the issue...

What if the OP had been in any one of a number of different countries but
been using a proxy server thus their time was "correct" for where they
possibly were on the planet and the IP address wasn't truly indicative of
their physical location on the planet? These days, with the leasing and
sub-leasing of IP blocks you never can truly depend on the whois information
being correct even and that still doesn't take into account the possibility
that they're using a proxy server of one type or another. With such
configurations (or leasing) one could appear to be on an entirely separate
part of the globe and the IP address's owner/leaser (is leaser a word???)
could be on the complete opposite side of the planet.

Some interesting food for thought if nothing else.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:31:15 PM

> In news:o 8L8ljrdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Jupiter Jones [MVP] <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> had this to say:

>> Not at all, that is why the word "Perhaps" is there.
>>

>> "PLL" <Hy@we.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh and YOU can tell others how to behave?
>
> Well Jupiter, there comes a time when all you can do is sigh... "That old
> mare she aint what she used to be, she aint what she used to be." I'm
> still grateful usenet exists, I just long for the 'old days.'
>
> Reminds me of the adage, "You can lead a horse to the water..."
>
> Here's an odd way to think about the issue...
>
> What if the OP had been in any one of a number of different countries but
> been using a proxy server thus their time was "correct" for where they
> possibly were on the planet and the IP address wasn't truly indicative of
> their physical location on the planet? These days, with the leasing and
> sub-leasing of IP blocks you never can truly depend on the whois
> information being correct even and that still doesn't take into account
> the possibility that they're using a proxy server of one type or another.
> With such configurations (or leasing) one could appear to be on an
> entirely separate part of the globe and the IP address's owner/leaser (is
> leaser a word???) could be on the complete opposite side of the planet.
>
> Some interesting food for thought if nothing else.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Te OP hasn't come back yet as to what kind of XP CD hr/she has!!V
June 22, 2005 11:31:16 PM

In news:%23kQ3Yi1dFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> had this to say:

> Te OP hasn't come back yet as to what kind of XP CD hr/she has!!V

(The old mare is Usenet by the way, figured I should make that clear. I
recalled a conversation in a private email list that you were partaking in
and after reading this thought I'd clarify that it's usenet that's old and
nothing like it used to be.) And no, they haven't... I just wanted to remind
people that IP addresses can (and do) lie easily enough. Just because we can
trace IP addresses to a location doesn't mean that the OP was actually
anywhere near that part of the globe with any certainty. The last time I
looked at mine the State was wrong, right region but wrong state. When I was
using a different compression utility my IP address had me all the way in
Australia. (The worst part was Google was convinced I was there so every
time I went to give someone a link it came out .com.au which was a bit
frustrating and one of the reasons I switched to one hosted in the States.)
Even still with the increased awareness of security issues more and more
people are beginning to use anonymous proxy servers (or so they hope they're
anonymous) and that skews things even more further. Coupled with the
depletion of IP addresses, leasing, and sub-leasing it is no longer a true
measure to find where people are posting from. It can be off by entire
continents.

The thread portion in which I was responding to was the part of Jupiter
pointing out that while Miss Tick had been strong in her approach and even
then that there was no call for the next person in line to be aggressive and
that, to be honest, is what isn't like it used to be. I happen to agree with
Jupiter on this one. Those of us who've taken the time to watch the postings
from Miss Tick probably also agree with Jupiter. Yes, she was strong willed
in her posting but not outlandishly so and to react towards that
aggressively - as the person behind her did - is just plain silliness.
Anyone who's ever posted in here should long since be aware that failing to
not take the caps lock off, setting your time ahead, or posting gibberish is
going to get Miss Tick to yell at you. We've come to accept it or, in some
cases, appreciate it because some of the things said are often things we
simply wanted to say but didn't quite have the gall. And for someone to come
and respond to that in that manner is abhorrent. Not to mention it serves no
purpose.

Once usenet was pretty tame really, a nice quite place where you could bring
the family for a picnic. Well, okay, not all that idyllic but these days
it's hard to go a day without witnessing at least a couple of flame wars
that veer so far from the original intent of the thread that it's almost
maddening at times. Anyhow, after my recollection of a past thread in which
we all reached some sort of acceptance or greater understanding I figured
I'd do better to explain myself and my verbiage lest anyone think there was
anything remotely personal involved in my post. (I wouldn't want that of
course... *nods* <g>) To speak frankly if it was assumed that my post was in
reference to Miss Tick it was not but rather both in defense of Jupiter's
ideas and the old mare wasn't her but Usenet herself and the changes that
have taken place. I saw where my post could have been read a number of ways
and just in case people didn't know better I figured I better make sure I
clarified it.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:31:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

>! Anong wrote:
>> I'm installing a new motherboard and booted with my XP 1a service
>> pack CD and wanted to do a repair to replace the drivers but there is
>> no repair option. Setup only allows for a fresh install. In other
>> words, Setup fails to find either of my XP installations (c and d
>> drive) and offer me teh chance to repair
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
> Fix your damned clock! Post dating is incredibly rude and many people,
> myself included, will not respond to post daters except to tell them to
> fix their clock, calendar and/or time zone. You are in Singapore
> (GMT+0800), yet your time zone is set to US Mountain Time (GMT-0700). And
> before you say anything, the reader's server automatically adjusts the
> time for their own time zone and it certainly isn't 10:03 tomorrow morning
> here in the UK!
>
> Fix it and you might receive a more helpful response from me. Otherwise,
> you'll just end up killfiled.

You OK Sarah?

Will
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:39:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sarah's OK, you've just got to know how to read her postings.

--

> [...]
> there was anything remotely personal involved in my post. (I wouldn't want
> that of course... *nods* <g>) To speak frankly if it was assumed that my
> post was in reference to Miss Tick it was not but rather both in defense
> of Jupiter's ideas and the old mare wasn't her but Usenet herself and the
> changes that have taken place. I saw where my post could have been read a
> number of ways and just in case people didn't know better I figured I
> better make sure I clarified it.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

June 23, 2005 3:39:13 AM

In news:ui1V8s3dFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> had this to say:

> Sarah's OK, you've just got to know how to read her postings.

Absolutely - and take the barbs with a grain of salt. *chuckles* Sometimes
she says the stuff I just wish I could say myself or I wish I'd thought of
it first. Anyone who reads Diskworld has to be okay. My point was it wasn't
a personal attack on her and I had thought that it MIGHT be a case where
people could/would view it as such and I didn't want that. I long for the
old usenet days at times but I'm grateful the beast lives on. I'd be pretty
bored without it.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:27:11 AM

Galen wrote:
> [...]
> but these days it's hard to go a day without witnessing at least a
> couple of flame wars that veer so far from the original intent of the
> thread that it's almost maddening at times. Anyhow, after my
> recollection of a past thread in which we all reached some sort of
> acceptance or greater understanding I figured I'd do better to
> explain myself and my verbiage lest anyone think there was anything
> remotely personal involved in my post. (I wouldn't want that of
> course... *nods* <g>) To speak frankly if it was assumed that my post
> was in reference to Miss Tick it was not but rather both in defense
> of Jupiter's ideas and the old mare wasn't her but Usenet herself and
> the changes that have taken place. I saw where my post could have
> been read a number of ways and just in case people didn't know better
> I figured I better make sure I clarified it.

Thanks, Galen - I think! ;o)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:29:47 AM

Galen wrote:
> In news:ui1V8s3dFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> had this to say:

>> Sarah's OK, you've just got to know how to read her postings.
>
> Absolutely - and take the barbs with a grain of salt. *chuckles*
> Sometimes she says the stuff I just wish I could say myself or I wish
> I'd thought of it first. Anyone who reads Diskworld has to be okay.
> My point was it wasn't a personal attack on her and I had thought
> that it MIGHT be a case where people could/would view it as such and
> I didn't want that. I long for the old usenet days at times but I'm
> grateful the beast lives on. I'd be pretty bored without it.
>
> Galen

Galen,

Mr T.D.J. Pratchett would be mortified - it's DisCworld, please! I know who
PLL is by the way, I have at least two dozen (if not more) of its aliases
already killfiled.

My bark is worse than my bite, really... ;o) <eg>
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:31:03 AM

QT wrote:
> He got plenty of helpful advice, none of which included your tirade.
> Who would want your garbage advice?

More than would want your garbage opinions. Now, please, stay kill-filed,
there's a good troll...
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:57:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

And it pays not to be too thin skinned around here, she does give out good
info at times <g>
Joan

Will Denny wrote:
> Sarah's OK, you've just got to know how to read her postings.

June 23, 2005 7:45:11 PM

In news:n_pue.14195$Kt2.12577@fe07.highwinds-media.phx,
Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> had this to say:

> [...]
>> but these days it's hard to go a day without witnessing at least a
>> couple of flame wars that veer so far from the original intent of the
>> thread that it's almost maddening at times. Anyhow, after my
>> recollection of a past thread in which we all reached some sort of
>> acceptance or greater understanding I figured I'd do better to
>> explain myself and my verbiage lest anyone think there was anything
>> remotely personal involved in my post. (I wouldn't want that of
>> course... *nods* <g>) To speak frankly if it was assumed that my post
>> was in reference to Miss Tick it was not but rather both in defense
>> of Jupiter's ideas and the old mare wasn't her but Usenet herself and
>> the changes that have taken place. I saw where my post could have
>> been read a number of ways and just in case people didn't know better
>> I figured I better make sure I clarified it.

And you're welcome, I think... *nods* Anyhow, Yes, Disk with a C... I'm just
getting to Moving Pictures at the moment. It's the kid in me...

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm sure you have many people kill filed, you would have to because of your
demeanor.
If I pissed as many people off as you, my kill file would be huge too.

news:p 0que.14196$Kt2.4271@fe07.highwinds-media.phx...
> Galen wrote:
>> In news:ui1V8s3dFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> had this to say:

>>> Sarah's OK, you've just got to know how to read her postings.
>>
>> Absolutely - and take the barbs with a grain of salt. *chuckles*
>> Sometimes she says the stuff I just wish I could say myself or I wish
>> I'd thought of it first. Anyone who reads Diskworld has to be okay.
>> My point was it wasn't a personal attack on her and I had thought
>> that it MIGHT be a case where people could/would view it as such and
>> I didn't want that. I long for the old usenet days at times but I'm
>> grateful the beast lives on. I'd be pretty bored without it.
>>
>> Galen
>
> Galen,
>
> Mr T.D.J. Pratchett would be mortified - it's DisCworld, please! I know
> who PLL is by the way, I have at least two dozen (if not more) of its
> aliases already killfiled.
>
> My bark is worse than my bite, really... ;o) <eg>

June 24, 2005 4:12:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wow.Intelligence is not your strong suite is it? You have, more than anyone
else I have ever seen, been a consistent non performer.But I'm sure you have
heard that your whole life, haven't you?

> QT wrote:
>> He got plenty of helpful advice, none of which included your tirade.
>> Who would want your garbage advice?
>
> More than would want your garbage opinions. Now, please, stay kill-filed,
> there's a good troll...

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:55:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems to me that OEM
XP most often has no repair option not a recovery console. My OEM XPP has no
cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option at the setup screen. Funny
thing though is that computer shops will tell you (as they told me) that OEM
XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a retail version just missing the manual. This is
most obviously untrue.

"George Hester" wrote:

> Consider it Water over the Dam. Now you know and you can write home about
> it. Don't be too upset I can understand your frustration but honestly we
> all live and learn.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "j-d" <jd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Are you telling me that after all this complaining and bitching to
> microsoft
> > about having no repair option, that all I had to do was install a little
> > longer to get it? Why didn't microsoft tell me that? That's all I wanted
> > know. What difference does it make what system I have, all I wanted to
> know
> > was where the repair option was on my cd.

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:39:14 PM

In news:025B79D8-62DC-40E7-9527-AE2DD6510519@microsoft.com,
perthy <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems
> to me
> that OEM XP most often has no repair option not a recovery
> console.
> My OEM XPP has no cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option
> at
> the setup screen. Funny thing though is that computer shops
> will tell
> you (as they told me) that OEM XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a
> retail
> version just missing the manual. This is most obviously untrue.

It sometimes *is* true.

There are actually two kinds of OEM CDs. Most of the major OEMs
customize the CD for their own computers. There are no real
standards and these can vary substantially depending on which one
you have.

But there are also generic OEM CDs. These are the ones you
typically might get if you bought a system from a small local
mom-and-pop builder. These *are* identical to the retail CDs
except for the rules for installation (they don't do upgrades).

Please reply to the newsgroup
June 26, 2005 5:25:49 PM

perthy wrote on Sun, 26 Jun 2005:

>Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems to me that OEM
>XP most often has no repair option not a recovery console. My OEM XPP has no
>cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option at the setup screen. Funny
>thing though is that computer shops will tell you (as they told me) that OEM
>XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a retail version just missing the manual. This is
>most obviously untrue.

I've just done on Friday a repair installation for a friend using an OEM
disk. You need to run it from within Windows, though; if you boot up
from the CD, you will not get offered the repair option.

Here's a link with a step by step guide that I followed:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#reisxp

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

but the main reason we want a R option is when a system file or registry is
corrupted. Then the R option can save a complete install. I don't understand
why we have this compromise on the OEM editions and why computer shops tell
us otherwise.

"Nightowl" wrote:

> perthy wrote on Sun, 26 Jun 2005:
>
> >Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems to me that OEM
> >XP most often has no repair option not a recovery console. My OEM XPP has no
> >cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option at the setup screen. Funny
> >thing though is that computer shops will tell you (as they told me) that OEM
> >XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a retail version just missing the manual. This is
> >most obviously untrue.
>
> I've just done on Friday a repair installation for a friend using an OEM
> disk. You need to run it from within Windows, though; if you boot up
> from the CD, you will not get offered the repair option.
>
> Here's a link with a step by step guide that I followed:
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#reisxp
>
> --
> Nightowl

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:25:51 PM

Perthy I am unfamiliar with what you are calling an "OEM." It used to be
that OEMs were EXACTLY the same as retail versions. There was no difference
at all. Now an OEM is NOT the same thing as a Restore CD. An OEM will have
Microsoft's name on it. My Windows 98 is an OEM but there is no indication
of any other company but Microsoft on it. Some OEMs have both names
Micerosoft and your computer mfg on them. But yes OEMs used to be exactly
the smae. If they aren't anymore that's typical.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"perthy" <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 86DE4B0-5C83-4410-8B7E-7872DC45903D@microsoft.com...
> but the main reason we want a R option is when a system file or registry
is
> corrupted. Then the R option can save a complete install. I don't
understand
> why we have this compromise on the OEM editions and why computer shops
tell
> us otherwise.
>
> "Nightowl" wrote:
>
> > perthy wrote on Sun, 26 Jun 2005:
> >
> > >Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems to me
that OEM
> > >XP most often has no repair option not a recovery console. My OEM XPP
has no
> > >cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option at the setup screen.
Funny
> > >thing though is that computer shops will tell you (as they told me)
that OEM
> > >XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a retail version just missing the manual.
This is
> > >most obviously untrue.
> >
> > I've just done on Friday a repair installation for a friend using an OEM
> > disk. You need to run it from within Windows, though; if you boot up
> > from the CD, you will not get offered the repair option.
> >
> > Here's a link with a step by step guide that I followed:
> >
> > http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#reisxp
> >
> > --
> > Nightowl

June 26, 2005 6:03:12 PM

perthy wrote:

> but the main reason we want a R option is when a system file or registry is
> corrupted. Then the R option can save a complete install. I don't understand
> why we have this compromise on the OEM editions and why computer shops tell
> us otherwise.

There are two "repair" options. One is the recovery console. That is
invoked, if it's available from that CD, by choosing the first "R". The
second is a repair installation which is offered later in the setup process.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"perthy" <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone mind if i respond to the original query? It seems to me that
> OEM
> XP most often has no repair option not a recovery console. My OEM XPP has
> no
> cmdcons folder and certainly no repair option at the setup screen. Funny
> thing though is that computer shops will tell you (as they told me) that
> OEM
> XP is EXACTLY THE SAME as a retail version just missing the manual. This
> is
> most obviously untrue.

XP OEM that comes with a new system is exactly the same as the retail
version, except for
1. it will not do an upgrade installation
2. support is the responsibility of the OEM who sold you the system

OEM systems the likes of HP, Packard Bell & Compaq are a different
story, and may be what you are referring to regarding the recovery
console.

rgds
Li'l Roberto
!