Use an existing HDD with a new SDD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2012 6:48:05 PM

Hi all,

I have a question about SSDs and HDDs together. I am starting out with an existing Win 7 system with all of my programs, files, and settings on my 1TB HDD. I just ordered a 32GB SSD and have installed a clean Win 7 onto it. I can boot onto both.

I want to use the SSD for Windows files ONLY and keep my existing files on the HDD because the SSD is too small. I have reassigned the appdata, program files (The program files reassignment doesn't work), downloads, documents and many other folders using regedit and they can be accessed by going to the links. (ex. When I click on the "Downloads" link on the left side of explorer, it takes me to the downloads folder of my HDD)

My one issue I cannot figure out is that I cannot get most of my programs to work. Only a few can be executed directly from the HDD (With errors). And when I try to reinstall the apps (Office, Adobe CS6, Visual Studio) choosing the HDD directory manually, the setups all give some registry permissions error that is unbypassable.

So, my question is: How do I get my programs to run on my SSD but be stored on my HDD.

More about : existing hdd sdd

December 3, 2012 4:08:43 AM

mprasolov said:
Hi all,

I have a question about SSDs and HDDs together. I am starting out with an existing Win 7 system with all of my programs, files, and settings on my 1TB HDD. I just ordered a 32GB SSD and have installed a clean Win 7 onto it. I can boot onto both.

I want to use the SSD for Windows files ONLY and keep my existing files on the HDD because the SSD is too small. I have reassigned the appdata, program files (The program files reassignment doesn't work), downloads, documents and many other folders using regedit and they can be accessed by going to the links. (ex. When I click on the "Downloads" link on the left side of explorer, it takes me to the downloads folder of my HDD)

My one issue I cannot figure out is that I cannot get most of my programs to work. Only a few can be executed directly from the HDD (With errors). And when I try to reinstall the apps (Office, Adobe CS6, Visual Studio) choosing the HDD directory manually, the setups all give some registry permissions error that is unbypassable.

So, my question is: How do I get my programs to run on my SSD but be stored on my HDD.

You might have a pro version of windows so your office/adobe / etc might be part of the windows and need to be on the same drive??
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:30:31 AM

Rich_ said:
You might have a pro version of windows so your office/adobe / etc might be part of the windows and need to be on the same drive??

I don't think that's the case. I used an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate installation and installed all of the programs myself. (Except for Windows Media Player, IE, etc.)
m
l
Related resources
!