Mother Board selection

kerow

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Im building a computer not really a budget machine just trying not to hit $1500.
So far all i have come to is im not sure what Mother Board to get!...
I have had issues with a gigabyte in the past. Just a known issue they had with a board and wouldnt fix it or refund my money.

For this machine im planning on running 2 WD 500-750GB HDD set in Raid 0 for speed. Not a problem if i drop a drive as im not worried about data loss.
My proc: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

Havent chosen video or ram yet as i wanted to get proc and mobo first. As well as to me hard drives are a given. gotta have WD sata III
Any help would be great!
Also when it comes to video cards do they make them with HDMI as i plan to use my 55" LG tv for a monitor!

Solution
You can get the hdmi port on the video card or motherboard. I use a biostar A880G+ and it runs great, but doesn't have usb 3.0 or sata 6. Biostar has newer models with these features. Most of the regular hardrives won't see much improvement with sata 6, but ssd's will. I suggest you find room in your budget for one. I agree about gigabyte; they're a pain to deal with, but some of their boards are very good.
You can get the hdmi port on the video card or motherboard. I use a biostar A880G+ and it runs great, but doesn't have usb 3.0 or sata 6. Biostar has newer models with these features. Most of the regular hardrives won't see much improvement with sata 6, but ssd's will. I suggest you find room in your budget for one. I agree about gigabyte; they're a pain to deal with, but some of their boards are very good.

Solution

kerow

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

everything i have read about using SSD for the OS has been bad. Things about it not loading right or BSOD or just wont take win 7 x64... i had planned on getting a 120-128GB SSD just for os and apps and using the HDD for data but when you google for info you get lots of (couldnt get it to work) issues

I use a patriot ssd, and they write their own bios updates. I also clone my ssd sometimes with maxblast 5.0. I've had it for about six months with no problems. Kingston also runs well; a 64 gb one was only $65 after rebate recently. I've gotten so used to the increased speed and quiet, I would never use a regular hardrive except in an emergency.