Z68X UD7 SATA cable trouble

lordhades

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I've recently bought the Gigabyte Z68X UD7 Motherboard and i've seen plenty of unboxing videos and read a lot of reviews but nowhere is it mentioned whether the motherboard comes with SATA 3 6.0 GB/s cables or not. I've seen the cables that are bundled with the motherboard and they have SATA 3.0/6.0 GB/s written on them so i'm not sure whether they're true SATA 3 6.0 GB/s cables or not.

The reason why i'm asking is because i will be investing in an SSD for the OS and the SSD that i've narrowed down to is the Corsair Force Series GT 240 GB SSD and the website mentions that it's a SATA 3 6.0 GB/s device, so i'd rather not bottleneck the read and write speeds of the aforementioned drive.

So my question is will the SATA cables supplied with my motherboard suffice or should i invest in buying SATA 3 6.0 GB/s cables ?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Hi there, & Welcome to the Forum!

The SATA cables in the Gigabyte box are SATA 6Gb/s ones. They are listed as 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s because they are backward compatable and can be used for any slower speed. Will work for 1.5Gb/s also.

So you are good to go. I try to keep my SATA cables as short as possible, so if it's 6" or 8" or 12" SSD to MB port, I buy the shortest possible one. I suspect the cable manufacturing is the same for almost all, since the specs are the same for SATA 6 and SATA 3Gb/s, but you can purchase 6Gb/s (labelled, certified, marked) cables for ~ $4 now at a local shop.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there, & Welcome to the Forum!

The SATA cables in the Gigabyte box are SATA 6Gb/s ones. They are listed as 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s because they are backward compatable and can be used for any slower speed. Will work for 1.5Gb/s also.

So you are good to go. I try to keep my SATA cables as short as possible, so if it's 6" or 8" or 12" SSD to MB port, I buy the shortest possible one. I suspect the cable manufacturing is the same for almost all, since the specs are the same for SATA 6 and SATA 3Gb/s, but you can purchase 6Gb/s (labelled, certified, marked) cables for ~ $4 now at a local shop.

Solution