"My Computer" taking forever to load.

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I recently updated my motherboard and installed 2 Intel 330 SDDs in a RAID 0 array. I am having issues with loading "Computer" to look at my disks. It hangs like it's searching or something. I did a few SSD "optimiztions" and they all seemed to be okay, such as disabling prefetch and superfetch moving my pagefile to a normal drive and turning off indexing. Shortly after I started experiencing the problem where it takes forever to show my drives in My Computer. It doesn't do it all the time but it's bothersome and it's worrying me. Sometimes the drives aand libraries are listed in the left pane but sometimes they are not and it has an extremely long load time, it looks like a windows search where the green bar is moving through the address bar. Any help would be much appreciated.

*Also, if I type a file address in the start menu, for instance, D:/mymusic, it comes up immediately. I dont undertsnad why it is searching for my drives when I open Computer.

zdbc13

Distinguished
When you click on "my computer" it tests a bunch of devices that may be having problems. Check Device Manager (Start, Right Click Computer, Properties, Device manager) and see if there are any conflicts. If none test all your drives individually. It could be a usb drive or bad CD.

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Will reinstalling my sata/chipset driversbreak my RAID 0 Array or can I perform a clean reinstall and put the controller back and RAID mode and have it detect the array?

I found this error in the event viewer. Could this be my problem? If so should I restore from one of my Acronis backups?

Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
Date: 12/2/2012 7:14:12 PM
Event ID: 6281
Task Category: System Integrity
Level: Information
Keywords: Audit Failure
User: N/A
Computer: ARiN-PC1
Description:
Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or corrupt due to unauthorized modification. The invalid hashes could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\sxs.dll
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />
<EventID>6281</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>0</Level>
<Task>12290</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8010000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-03T00:14:12.754928700Z" />
<EventRecordID>3868</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="84" />
<Channel>Security</Channel>
<Computer>ARiN-PC1</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\sxs.dll</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I now believe this is a software issue because when I first boot, for maybe 10 seconds, prior to all of my processes loading I can access Computer and Control Panel. They are also both accessable when shutting down, i.e. when most of the processes have been stopped. Any advice?

power your computer from a cold start
start cmd.exe as a admin
run
sfc.exe /scannow to scan your OS files for corruption and repair
(see if sxs.dll is bad)
- I would do this first then determine the cause of the corruption

if sfc.exe looks ok then start looking at other issues.

check the version of firmware for your SSD and run the provide Intel toolkit utilities to check for reported errors. This toolkit is one of the major reasons to get these drives
over their cheaper competitors

Your system had a issue reading a file from your raid controller. The cause can be
the motherboard BIOS, firmware of the SSD, motherboard raid hardware, drivers for the raid hardware, the causes go on from there.

Most of the optimizations you mention should not be used unless you are working around a certain issue. These recommendations were generally for the early SSD that lacked proper support. For the most part turn them off will just slow your system down and not extend a current generation SSD's life. Overall it is up to you. I do reduce my disk write IO on my SSD but I do it by looking at resource monitor and see who is writing on my SSD.

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I ran the scans with no errors reported. I then attempted to restore with Acronis TruImage, which says it works on RAID arrays. This did not work. Maybe it has something to do with the RAID itself being messed up and Acronis was unable to finish the restore. Either way it's completely unusable now. I'm going to break the array, format and reinstall now.

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
It was a cheap A-Power 900watt PSU I bought about a year ago for a different build. I replaced it with an Ultra M4 1200watt. Everything is perfect now and with all this extra wattage I think I might just have to grab a 2nd video card ^.^

uninfallible

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Right now I am running

Asus P8Z77-V Pro
I7-2600K overclocked to 4.65ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance at 1866Mhz
2 x Intel 330 180GB SSD in RAID 0
2 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD
EVGA GTX 580 3GB Overclocked Core 890MHZ / Memory 2125MHZ

It's all rock solid with the Ultra M4 1200wwatt PSU

Do you think I could add another 3GB GTX 580 with the same OC with this PSU?

zdbc13

Distinguished
I've heard about and had trouble myself with Ultra power supplies but have heard that the ones over 1000w are good. Don't know for sure but you could try it.

It's always better to get the best single GPU you can afford rather than sli.