Cmos failure site:tomshardware com

tindleaj

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hello, im hving a little trouble with a computer i recently built, it was my first one so i probably did something wrong. every time i power the unit on, i get a little message at the bottom of the BIOS screen that says "CMOS fail, press del. to enter setup" it boots into windows 7 fine, but randomly shuts off? any help? thanks.

Solution
If it continues then review the manual to see the Clear CMOS jumper procedure. IF it's indeed corrupted and the Jumper method fails then choices: 1. Return the MOBO, 2. Flash the BIOS with the latest version. IMO #2 then #1.

Good Luck! :)
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Q - What exact MOBO?
Q - Did you attempt to 'Flash' {Upgrade} your BIOS?

Every MOBO has a different CMOS rescue procedure, ASUS insert the DVD/CD that came with the MOBO and boot. Gigabyte should recognize a failed BIOS after a few failed boots and use its' secondary BIOS, and other's have no rescue and may be 'bricked' aka ruined.

tindleaj

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
thanks for the reply.

the mobo ia a biostar tz68a+ and no i havnt tried to "flash" the mobo. the computer runs fine, i installed win 7 no problemo and installed all the motherboard drivers, and a gfx card driver. the computer randomly shuts off in the BIOS
(a timeout option maybe?) but it has also shut off twice while using windows. it seems to be running fine now, its been on for 2hrs. the only problem is the little error message on the BIOS screen.

If it continues then review the manual to see the Clear CMOS jumper procedure. IF it's indeed corrupted and the Jumper method fails then choices: 1. Return the MOBO, 2. Flash the BIOS with the latest version. IMO #2 then #1.

Good Luck! :)

Solution

sean2d2

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
What ended up working for you? I have the exact same issue, same hardware and everything. I tried clearing the jumper but I still get the CMOS fail message

sean2d2

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
What ended up working for you? I have the exact same issue, same hardware and everything. I tried clearing the jumper but I still get the CMOS fail message

TRENDING THREADS