Sign in with
Your question

2x2gb only shows 2.5gb of RAM

Last response: in Memory
July 12, 2011 1:55:56 PM

Hello,
Just got a new stick of RAM today, previously I had 2gb, but now I thought I´ll have 4gb.
When I booted my PC, it only shows 2.5gb of memory under system. PC wizard does show that I have 4096mb of memory, but only 2.5gb is usable.

I have tried using these stick seperately in both my slots and they are both indeed not broken and they are both 2gb, but when I use them together, I only get 2.5gb. I have dedicated most of my day to searching a solution for this problem, but have not found anything that fixed my problem.

I have read about people with similar problem, but there was no viable solution. I found out that black and yellow RAM slots make a difference, but I´m not sure. I have 1 black and 1 yellow slot. The stick are exactly the same, just different manufacturers.

My specs:
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6400
Mobo: P5V-VM ULTRA
Video: Nvidia 9600GT

More about : 2x2gb shows 5gb ram

a c 346 } Memory
July 12, 2011 2:11:35 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

You need to define 'Usable'; look at Hardware Reserved, Total & Installed and post those numbers. Also, make certain the MSCONFIG settings are as shown below.

July 12, 2011 2:29:21 PM

The msconfig setting are like that, I´ve checked already :) 

Here is the hardware reserved

Related resources
July 12, 2011 5:26:31 PM

That should´nt be it, because Crucial shows that max for my mobo is 4gb and 2gb per slot. Also on the asus page there was a thread about someone who installed 4gb, but it only showed 3gb.
a c 346 } Memory
July 12, 2011 6:14:50 PM

Crucial is often found to be incorrect; Crucial only lists P5V-VM DH and P5V-VM SE DH ; so I assume your P5V-VM ULTRA is some OEM MOBO from Dell, Gateway, etc.

The 2GB limit is CLEARLY listed in the ASUS Official documentation, and a Thread means nothing. Perhaps the per DIMM limit is some oddball 1.5GB/DIMM and a 2X2GB yielded 3GB. Also, on 32-bit OSes the limit is 4GB with 3.0GB~3.50GB 'usable.'
July 12, 2011 9:09:20 PM

Well then, looks like my mobo is going to change soon :) 

Thanks for your help
!