Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down during Windows 7 install...

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2010 8:21:28 AM

Yeah.
It's my first time building a computer, and hallelujah, everything works, until I try to install windows 7 pro (32 bit).
Specs:
Intel i5 750
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-10600 RAM Memory
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L Intel H55 Express 1156 Motherboard
Palit/XpertVision GTX 460 Graphics Card
Corsair 650 W TX PSU
500 GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive
Xclio Propeller Midi Tower Case with 36cm Quiet Fan on Side Pane w/o PSU
Samsung SH-D163C Black, 48x CD-ROM 16x DVD-ROM, SATA, OEM
2x 120mm Xclio Orange LED Case Fan, Quiet, Clear Fan With 4 Orange LED

I doubt the CPU is overheating because of the 36cm fan and the 2 120mm fans that I've installed into the case, + the heatsink. When try to install windows 7, the screen say that it's preparing the files for installation, during this, it's prepared to around 40% then the power switches off. However, when my dad came to help me with this problem and I checked the fans to see if they were working, he apparently said that the bar had gotten to around 60%, I changed the BIOS settings to the reccomended default or w/e it's called, do you guys have any idea what the problem is?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2010 10:52:34 AM

Sorry for stating the obvious, but the installation process does need a few automatic restarts. Is it just that, or does the system just shuts down and doesn't restart?
August 28, 2010 11:17:30 AM

It just shuts down and it doesn't restart, well, I waited for one minute before trying to start it up again.
Related resources
November 21, 2010 4:53:29 PM

I'm having the same problem with my new build using Win 7 Pro 64-bit and a GigaByte GA-H55-USB3 MBO. I don't think it's software or OS (well, may OS/HW interaction). I suspect it's a BIOS setting.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 5:15:10 PM

The fact that it shuts down tells me not everything is working. Something is off and I'm going to guess perhaps something is not seated properly. Heat sink, cpu, video card, RAM - recheck everything and make sure it's all properly seated. Make sure the heatsink is touching the processor (check cpu temperature in BIOS). Just because you have 45 fans in your case that doesn't mean your CPU still cannot over heat. It can if the heat sink is not touching the processor. Heat sink should not be loose at all. When you put in the heatsink you should hear 4 distinct crack like sounds from the pushpins.

Also consider bad hardware such as power supply, motherboard, or video card. Another thing to consider is bad SATA ports, bad sata cables, bad optical drive, bad windows disc and so on.

C0MP00T3R said:
Yeah.
It's my first time building a computer, and hallelujah, everything works, until I try to install windows 7 pro (32 bit).
Specs:
Intel i5 750
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-10600 RAM Memory
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L Intel H55 Express 1156 Motherboard
Palit/XpertVision GTX 460 Graphics Card
Corsair 650 W TX PSU
500 GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive
Xclio Propeller Midi Tower Case with 36cm Quiet Fan on Side Pane w/o PSU
Samsung SH-D163C Black, 48x CD-ROM 16x DVD-ROM, SATA, OEM
2x 120mm Xclio Orange LED Case Fan, Quiet, Clear Fan With 4 Orange LED

I doubt the CPU is overheating because of the 36cm fan and the 2 120mm fans that I've installed into the case, + the heatsink. When try to install windows 7, the screen say that it's preparing the files for installation, during this, it's prepared to around 40% then the power switches off. However, when my dad came to help me with this problem and I checked the fans to see if they were working, he apparently said that the bar had gotten to around 60%, I changed the BIOS settings to the reccomended default or w/e it's called, do you guys have any idea what the problem is?

!