Why not to buy new sandy cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
"In addition, Sandy Bridge processors will implement security features that include the ability to remotely disable a PC or erase information from hard drives without permission from the current operator of the PC. This can be useful in the case of a lost or stolen PC. The commands can be received through 3G signals, ethernet, or internet connections. AES encryption will be available for both video conferencing and VoIP applications.[6]"

taken from the wiki...

So intel wants your pc to be exploited even more? Now with these chips in place it's possible you don't even need an os or boot the system for some dweeb to crash your pc to the point that it's bricked...Or watch you and your girl/boyfriend record speacial things to a pc.. also not to mention that PPPOE and other protocols can be used to do this as well.. even without these cpu's

It's bad enough microsoft leaves these things open, now other vendors of hardware/software are jumping on the bandwagon...Is this their good intentions being exploited? Or are these people getting a kick in the butt / phat check to spy on their own people?

Your private property and privacy is no longer yours?
:cry:

I think they just convinced me even more to go amd!
:pfff:

Solution
^ +1. This is the first I've read about any such "feature" being present on Sandy Bridge CPUs - sounds more like it would be some sort of security chip or BIOS routine, coupled with something like Lojack for Laptops, and offered by the laptop OEM, not Intel..

AES we've known about for quite some time along with the 256-bit AVX instructions.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
yea the thought ran through my head, as i hit the pillow..it's wiki dude. people post crap there sometimes and it ends up not being true and they correct it or remove it xD

but some recent attacks on my dells are mighty suspicous.. blue tooth connections and installs with no bluetooth hardware.. o.0 explain that one.

powerline? or power over ethernet? PPPOE, connections.. and installs.. i'm not very fond of these protocols.. so it could actually be what was used as spoofing.. but yea 0.o

How are we to know what they really put into these things? who checks this?
windows is a great example of holes, but it was with good intent and exploited right?

As things become more advanced, and i notice security corporations buying up communications...that the provider or tecs deny, even tho i can walk right up to the people and place who bought the rights for the network.. and ask really stupid questions sometimes -.- how far does this go...What are you doing..etc

but it is with the best of intentions and for the common good and knowledge xD

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I have read somewhere(Not Wiki, Sorry to long ago to source) some months ago about a security feature that will allow CPu's to be remotely disabled the same ways as described above, but I have never heard that it would be on SandyBridge or any other CPu as of yet.

We heard the same doom 'n gloom when Intel introduced the Pentium III serial number. It ended up being a whole load of nothing and Intel removed it from later revisions of the chip, plus a lot of board vendors figured out how to disable it and put an option in the BIOS for doing so. Ditto with the TPM. Everybody thought doom and gloom and it ended up being nothing as well. Maybe the doom and gloom keeps manufacturers from actually doing harmful things with these technologies, but suffice to say people won't stand for their general-purpose PCs to be DRMed to any large extent. The way that manufacturers will get away with a lot of DRM is to move people from the "open" PCs that are expected to be completely owned by the user to known-to-be-locked devices like smartphones, where there is no expectation of being able to do everything you want to do with the device. But still people jailbreak iPhones all the time, so it still stands that people won't put up with that kind of crap. If the DRM gets too onerous and there's no good way to hack around it, such as the Blu-Ray HDCP fiasco, people just avoid the technology in favor of other tech that is less restrictive.

Solution

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
alright that explains alot.. right now multiple xp installs are bricked..

DRM and various errors happened for long periods persistantly.. should i jailbreak my dell xD

ever get an invalid process attache attempt? ala BSOD?

very weird time frames too...

the dump to memory was takeing uber long as well..window's update hijacks..you name it it's been used on me sometime in the past year.. :heink:

thinking about what to do with the drives =/

Status
Not open for further replies.