Sign in with
Your question

Check for hot swap support?

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2012 10:50:16 PM

Is there an easy way to tell for sure that a motherboard supports SATA hot swap? The manufacturer website doesn't seem to say anything about it so is there any method from within BIOS or Windows configurations to determine if hot swap is supported? Thanks

More about : check hot swap support

a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
December 2, 2012 11:32:10 PM

The motherboard I have has an option in the bios where you can turn on and off the hot swap feature on each sata port. The newer the motherboard the more likely it has the hot swap feature. Some cases will also have that feature built in so that in the front of the case you can put a SSD in a slide out tray and its capable of doing this whether the computer is on or not. With the proliferation of SSDs you have more and more demand for hot swap so that's why the newer boards will tend to have it.
The motherboards user manual should have it in there or in the bios there would be a section with the option to enable hot swap.
m
l
December 2, 2012 11:47:07 PM

Nothing in the BIOS related to hot swap support, there is an option to enable ACHI which is enabled by default but I don't think ACHI always or even sometimes means a board is hot swappable. Nothing on the manufacturers website but it is a very new board, but it was a dirt cheap MSI board.

I'm asking because I really want to get a swappable backplane, similar to what you mentioned, but it would be pointless if my board doesn't support hot swap.
m
l
Related resources
a c 101 V Motherboard
a c 317 G Storage
December 2, 2012 11:56:38 PM

Enable AHCI and then install HotSwap! 6, a freeware program that is much better than Windows 7 at ejecting and connecting drives: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm Then test it with a single drive if you cannot find a definitive answer.

It would be easier to tell you that it works for sure if you post the board brand and model.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
December 3, 2012 12:14:19 AM

There are cases that offer hot swap bays and it doesn't matter what you have for a motherboard or if your motherboard supports hot swap. I have a Cooler Master HAF-X that has such a setup and it doesn't matter what motherboard I have it supports the hot swap. But that's something that comes with the case and unless your in the market for a new case then you have to try and make it work with what you have,
I know that the MB thatI had did not natively support hoy swap but because the case had this setup it was able to work in spite of that.
m
l
December 3, 2012 12:25:36 AM

RealBeast said:
Enable AHCI and then install HotSwap! 6, a freeware program that is much better than Windows 7 at ejecting and connecting drives: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm Then test it with a single drive if you cannot find a definitive answer.

It would be easier to tell you that it works for sure if you post the board brand and model.

The board is an MSI 880G-E45. I wasn't able to find anything on whether the chipset has hot swap support, MSI didn't list it in specs. About an hour ago I did install Hot Swap! and it actually did work as I think it intended. I did have to go into devmgmt and scan for hardware changes to detect a newly swapped drive. I really appreciate the spindown feature because I've never liked the idea of unplugging or moving around a spinning drive.

While hotswap is nice, I would like to find a process that has a few less steps required.
m
l
!