Sign in with
Your question

Possible HDD Failure (Seagate Barracuda 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s ST2000DM001)

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2012 11:12:10 PM

Hi there guys. I recently posted in the CyberPower PC section of the forums revolving around some issues I am having with my system post-motherboard failure and I am wondering if I can get some help here for a more specific possible problem.

Basically I had to replace the motherboard due to CP's terrible workmanship and ended up buying the same mobo to keep things simple. After installing the new mobo I ran into some new problems including extremely slow load up times, system hanging/locking up on idle, hang ups/lockups when downloading, and strange noises coming from the HDD I'm not used to.

After I installed the new mobo and plugged everything back in I'd assumed everything would run like it did before the failure but I was seemingly mistaken-the lockups started. This I figured was a result of many hardboots while checking the BIOS and trying to run startup repair. Eventually I figured I might need to format and reinstall Windows so I did that (just directly formatted C: and reinstalled Windows). Still had the odd lockups/hanging so I ran a disk check. After running the disk check I saw many errors/corrupted files and such but the utility seemed to fix that. Again I was wrong as the lockups returned. Now I'm noticing clicking/reading sounds when the HDD seems to begin hanging/locking up and then silence until it starts reading again.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if my HDD is indeed damaged internally in some way or if it's plugged into the wrong SATA port on the motherboard.

Any help with this would be absolutely amazing as I'm somewhat stumped at the moment and ready to yet again shell out MORE money to buy a new HDD.

Hardware specs, for reference:

AMD FX-8150 3.6Ghz 8core Processor
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Socket AM3+ Mobo
16GB DDR3-RAM Adata @1333Mhz
Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB GPU
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s ST2000DM001 @7200 RPM
Coonix 800W PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
December 2, 2012 11:25:21 PM

I don't think that you can plug it into the wrong sata port because the hard drive will work in either sata2 or sata3 (bacwards compatable) so that leaves the possability that the drive is defective. It can happen to any piece of equipment that is made and nothing is ever made perfect so there's a chance it's defective. Have you run chkdsk on it to see if there are any bad sectors?
m
l
December 2, 2012 11:56:48 PM

I have and apparently there were non that I saw. I will probably run another chkdsk on it when I have time. Is it possible that I formatted the drive the wrong way? I noticed that there was a tiny partition of like 100MB or so but I didn't format that, could that be causing the lockups?
m
l
Related resources
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
December 3, 2012 12:08:03 AM

I guess that the CHKDSK will only tell you if you have bad sectors and not tell you if the read head or the apature arm is broken or defective.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:41:44 AM

On another computer now. Looks like the HDD is failing. Taking 15+ minutes to boot now with immediate lockups/hangs if I do manage to get to my desktop.
m
l
!