Windows 7 cannot read hard drive from dead Vista PC

kmag27

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello,
My Dell Windows Vista PC died. I am attempting to recover the data on the hard drive. I have connected the hard drive to a laptop running Windows 7 using a sata to usb adapter. The laptop sees the hard drive and has assigned it a drive letter, but when I try to read the file it says the drive needs to be formatted.

Check disk management(diskmgmt.msc) to see if any other partitions are on the drive.

Maybe the drive is the reason for the problem.

You may want to try something like this. I have not used it, but have used other easeUS software and it all worked quite good.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/

I have personally never had issues moving drives from system to system from 32-bit->64-bit and 64-bit->32-bit bit as well as IDE mode -> AHCI mode. I do not think that should make a difference. Inzone, Have you run into this in the past?

My first though before seeing it wanted to format was a permissions issue, but you need to at least see the partition to deal with that.

If you by any chance have another system to test it on(preferably a desktop so you can skip the adapter), it may be worth a shot.

kmag27

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks for the response.

The laptop is 32 bit and ide

The pc was 64 bit and achi

kmag27

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
In my experience, the formatting question often pops out for different reasons. But the only way to regain your inaccessible files inside the drive is to recover your data at the aid of a third party recovery tool.
You may try a recovery freeware, which had helped me restoring my inaccessible data from unformatted drive many times. You will know it after applying it.
Note for you:
1. If you want to get all your files back, you should never write anything new to this drive in case of overwriting the originate data, which can be a nightmare of your files data.
2. If you want to avoid recovery failure, you are supposed to save your recovered data on a different drive
3. You should back up your data as possible as you can in the future.

Thanks for your response. I dont think the drive is unformatted, but I will give it a shot tomw.

And yes, kicking myself for not backing up more frequently! Lost about 4 weeks.

kmag27

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

The partition appears but looks 100% free.... No data.