Dell inspiron 1521 problems

d_dimov16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hello,
everytime I boot up my Dell inspiron 1521 the processor speed is 800MHz and if I want to get the processor speed to 1811MHz i need to remove the charger and put it in again. I know that this has something to do with battery saving but the processor speed needs to be reduced only if I'm running on battery and not with the charger attached. Maybe there is something that I should change in the BIOS. I would appreciate any help I get. Thank You

Press the "del" key when posting and get into the bios. Look for a setting for "eist" if your system is Intel, or "cool and quiet" if it's amd. Then disable them. I like the energy saving features. They increase as needed when gaming, etc. I would leave them alone.

d_dimov16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

I tried to disable the cool and quiet feature but the problem still persists, and with that feature disabled when my computer powers up I can't get the speed back to 1811MHz by pulling the cable from the A/C adapter and pulling it in again, and no matter what I did the speed remained to 800MHz. I think that this has to have something with the Windows 7 Power managment but I don't know what else to try since I have explored all the options.

coolie1156

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Sorry to inform you dude, but your dell PA12 charger is dead. More precisely it's the chip inside that allows the system board to recognize it as genuine dell equipment, that has fried. It will continue to power on the laptop but since the system won't recognizing as genuine it will run at a slower speed. I had this same problem: my amd athlon TK53 1.6GHz dual core was working at 800MHz . I had to buy myself a new charger...twice. Having had this problem twice, I'm sure you have the exact same problem .Google it! good luck