Replacement for ASUSP5N32-E SLI PLUS

imgettinold

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hi Gentlemen - (and ladies) :)

HELP! :cry:

Ok. My P5N32-E SLI PLUS (UK) board is dead and I need to replace it. Things change so fast, that I would urgently ask for recommendations as at July 2011 - particularly for those who've actually done similar recently.

I basically want to fit into my existing hardware and reuse, and not spend out.
I need to do it fast. (Amazon etc..)

Operating systems
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit and 32bit)
Windows XP Professional.

Current hardware I need to reuse.. and stuff...In priority order...

Intel Quad core CPU Q6600 @2.4Ghz [Socket 775]
(I'm not really interested in overclocking much- I need good stability and keep the heat of ASUS down)
I would like to make it a few years fiture proof if I need to upgrade RAM and processor..
4 x DDR2 PC2-6400
Nvidia nforce 650i SLI PCI EXPRESS 16
Ideally USB3 included to save me using cards if not USB2
SATA and IDE
Firewire
Audio
Floppy
No RAID needed

All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
You won't have luck "future" proofing at this point. You have a socket 775 board and 2 Intel sockets have been introduced since that socket. You will be best buying a motherboard from eBay if you simply cannot afford a new build. The only "decent" socket 775 board available at this point are boards that use DDR3 memory. The "Nvidia nforce 650i SLI PCI EXPRESS 16" you wish to "reuse" is your chipset. You can't reuse it. It is part of your motherboard.

Expect to get another year out of this machine but thre are becoming fewer upgrades you can make for your machine at this point. I use a Q6600 machine as a primary machine and have accepted a new build as inevitability within 6 months. It's technology, future proofing is a snipe hunt, it's like predicting earthquakes and women.

imgettinold

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you.

All though it's not what wanted to hear I appreciate your advice.

Assuming i uprade to a processor to a performance similar to my present quad core@ 2.4 of 3 years ago, do you have a recommendation for a board that could use the
Ddr2Ram until I can get better?

Thanks

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
You would be better off buying an LGA775 motherboard that uses DDR3 and upgrading your RAM if you really are that tight on funds. (I just bought an eBay board to get me through another couple months for that same reason) There aren't any newer socket motherboard that take DDR2, that's not how i3,i5, and i7 processors work, they handle RAM on the processor so DDR2 just won't work with them.

If you need to upgrade either your processor or your RAM or your motherboard, you pretty much have to do it all now, unfortunately. (Just bought eBay DDR2 for a different machine for this fact...and an eBay processor before that)

My best suggestion is, if you are comfortable enough to know what you are looking for as an LGA775, DDR2 motherboard, find a suitable one on eBay, otherwise you will need to upgrade your motherboard and RAM. I know it's not ideal, there are a lot of people in this situation (I am as well, I've got DDR3 thanks to a DDR2 RMA but no board to use it in because of money!)

Edit:
If you need to get a little further with the CPU you have (The Q6600 is a solid proc.) You could get this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186202

(It is fairly cheap, so it won't be as big of a loss when you finally upgrade your processor)

And any decent, cheap DDR3 RAM. I recommend Kingston ValuRAM or, ig you need higher speeds, find Corsair modules that are on sale. MAKE SURE to get Dual Channel memory though, if you use it in this board^^

Also, shoot me a PM if you are looking to offset your cost of an ALL new build by selling your quad.

imgettinold

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Puttsey,

Looks like I'm going to have to do everything. :-(

I'm going to take a bit more time, because of agreeing plans/timescales for replacement of everyones computers with the wife :)

Really appreciate your help and thoughts and comments, and especially for responding so quick.

Thanks

Pete

Yeah I would hold off upgrading your kit until AMD / Intel release their next offerings. Bulldozer and LGA2011.

Just try to replace your board with a mid-range to low-end board, it should get you by until spring next year.