Sign in with
Your question

Help Upgrading Motherboard/CPU/RAM

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 9:52:37 AM

Hello,I have a few questions, I'm new to the upgrading of Motherboards, CPU's and RAM.

Basically I wish to upgrade to a Quad-Core Processor, right now I have Dual-Core.

I believe that my current Motherboard will not be able to support a Quad-Core, so I will have to upgrade that as well as the RAM.

First of all, my current Specs:
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
-ATI Radeon HD5870
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor ~2.5GHz
-4GB DDR2 RAM, 1GB GDDR5 RAM
-750 Watt PSU (All I know, sorry)
-MSI MS-7250 Motherboard, Nvidia nForce 570 SLI Chipset

I want a Motherboard that supports something like a Intel i5, DDR3 RAM and such, my budget is about £350 for all 3 components.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any help, and if I have left something out, please ask and I will inform you of what it is you need to know.

Thanks.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 10:25:19 AM

I suggest you take on the AMD way and purchase a phenom X4..i5 and x4 really dont have much differences between them..I have both and heck i cant distinguish any performance difference..What do want to use this pc for?
November 17, 2010 10:37:07 AM

As for your budget
Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CPU : Intel Core i5-760
RAM : Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 CL9

Conclusion : Motherboard is full of futures , support CrossFireX as well
CPU is Quad core Great Performance on games and multi tasking
as for rams its bus 1600 CL 9 , if you could pay more and get CL 7

Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 12:28:25 PM

I will be using this PC for PC Gaming, so I'll add that I would also like the Motherboard and CPU to be able to play some recent games well.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 12:50:41 PM

Quote:
I will be using this PC for PC Gaming, so I'll add that I would also like the Motherboard and CPU to be able to play some recent games well.

With a Radeon HD5870 it's safe to say we anticipated that :) 

That Asus 790FX AM3 is roughly half the price from when it debuted. It's an outstanding motherboard - especially for that price.

The PhII 965BE and the RAMs will move to the new AM3+ motherboards which should arrive next spring.

AM3+ motherboards will support the latest AMD enthusiast desktop processors called Bulldozer Zambezi which arrive next year.

That gives you a solid upgrade path for when you are ready.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 1:04:54 PM

I'd just like to thank all of you who contributed, this has really helped me, but I'd like to ask Wisecracker if you think you could possibly add £40 to any of those things, or if you'd keep them the same because it's good as it is?

Thanks.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 4:22:15 PM

Quote:
I'd just like to thank all of you who contributed, this has really helped me, but I'd like to ask Wisecracker if you think you could possibly add £40 to any of those things, or if you'd keep them the same because it's good as it is?

Thanks.

Actually, you could save £15 if you could find a Phenom II 955BE. If your cash is burning a hole in your pocket you could spend an extra £15 on the Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core.

Each of those processors is qualified for that Asus 790FX and has an unlocked cpu multiplier (making over-clocking quite simple). At stock voltage each will likely approach 3.8GHz or so, and each has the same top-end voltage and C3 Stepping. With an additional +0.05v (still a bit below max spec) each should surpass 4GHz with good cooling.

And that may be where you want to invest that extra £50. The Corsair H50-1 Hydro Series CPU Cooler is some really fancy stuff -- the new H70 model is an additional £20.

That's 2 to 3 times the expense of fancy air HSF assemblies but you would definitely be the *coolest* guy on the block.

Sealed water systems generally have the same cooling efficiency of air cooling but are a touch more quiet if that is important to you.

Otherwise --- you could invest in a six core AMD Thuban if you do a good bit of video transcoding (but most games these days don't use 4 cores much less 6, so it would be of little real benefit to you).

Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 6:30:37 PM

Thanks a ton Wisecracker, I think I'll get the Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core with the Motherboard and RAM you sent me and I'll probably get a CPU cooler for Xmas (I'll ask my parents I suppose).

I do have one question though, will this Motherboard be able to support future Processors or if I ever upgrade my Processor will I have to also upgrade my Motherboard again?

And I've looked at the Motherboard, and I just want to be extra sure, but it does support ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI, doesn't it?

Again, thanks, and sorry for so many questions.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2010 11:48:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks a ton Wisecracker, I think I'll get the Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core with the Motherboard and RAM you sent me and I'll probably get a CPU cooler for Xmas (I'll ask my parents I suppose).

I do have one question though, will this Motherboard be able to support future Processors or if I ever upgrade my Processor will I have to also upgrade my Motherboard again?

And I've looked at the Motherboard, and I just want to be extra sure, but it does support ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI, doesn't it?

Again, thanks, and sorry for so many questions.

Here is the Asus web page for the CH-III 790FX with complete specs, downloads, supported CPUs, qualified RAMs, etc. You may download a copy of the motherboard manual for setup/BIOS information.

You may potentially operate 2 x HD5870s in CrossFire at x16x16 PCie Gen2 (which is the max bandwidth available today). If you were so inclined you may also operate 3 x HD5870s at x8x8x8 but it is important to note that the value of the second card will be higher than the third card in terms of increasing your performance. Two cards will bump performance approx 75% --- the performance bump will scale around 50% with the addition of a third card in most cases.

I point this out for one reason: Eyefinity. A triple Crossfire should evolve nicely with a 3 monitor setup but the price/performance thing, of course, will be a major consideration. BTW - you may run Eyefinity with a single HD5870.

Also --- if you plan to run 2xHD5870s in CrossFire a quality power supply like the Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX will be necessary.

The PhII 970BE is the fastest AMD processor today. Before the end of the year AMD will introduce the PhII 975BE (which I believe will be a C3 stepping). The other options available to you would be the six core Thubans which are EO steppings --- they tend to OC a bit higher (with less voltage) than the C3s but the REAL question is whether you will be able to utilize 6 cores running at 4.2GHz or so - LOL

New platforms will enter the 'enthusiast' mainstream next summer. The new AMD enthusiast processor is called Bulldozer Zambezi. It will require an AM3+ motherboard. Your current (proposed) processor and memory should move to AM3+ nicely.

It is possible (but highly unlikely) that some enterprising vendors will enable BD Zambezi support on AM3 motherboards. DO NOT count on this. The processors are pin-compatible but the BD Zambezi will lose some functions on AM3 if vendors workaround AMD.

Once again --- from a price/performance standpoint the PhII 955BE (or PhII 965BE) will perform well for you and free up a little cash for a nice HSF.

We love helping folks *tweak* their systems for maximum performance. It's so easy even someone from Anandtech could do it :lol: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2010 9:42:44 PM

Wow, nice answer, really detailed helped a lot.

I think I'll definitely get the CPU Cooler and that Power Supply for my Xmas then I'll just get another 5870 when the price drops a touch more.

I've tried Overclocking my CPU before, it went badly, my PC would boot up to a black screen, sometimes a page telling me an error, and from that page I only had a certain amount of time to fix things before the PC just turned itself off, my CPU use to be 2.6GHz, but when I put it back down to 2.6GHz it still had problems, so I put it to 2.5GHz and it was fine, so in the process of attempting to make my Processor better, I made it worse, lol.

But I think I'll definitely come back here for advice on tweaking my Processor, and seeing as the Processor you lined me up with is unlocked, I think I'll have an easier time doing it, especially with guidance from this community.

I do have one question everybody asks, right now I can run Crysis at 1920x1200 on about Medium with no AA and a small amount of AF (4x I think), with my new Processor, Motherboard and RAM, do you think I might be able to crank it up to High (Forget about AA though, AA on Crysis is something only Maxishine could do)?

And another question, which I don't think anyone will be able to answer, but do you think I'll be able to play Crysis 2 on Medium?

I'm not sure if recommended specifications have been released for Crysis 2, though.

Anyhow, again, thanks for the ton of help, and especially since it's very detailed answers, thanks for spending the time helping me.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 4:04:37 PM

Quote:
Wow, nice answer, really detailed helped a lot.

I think I'll definitely get the CPU Cooler and that Power Supply for my Xmas then I'll just get another 5870 when the price drops a touch more.

I've tried Overclocking my CPU before, it went badly, my PC would boot up to a black screen, sometimes a page telling me an error, and from that page I only had a certain amount of time to fix things before the PC just turned itself off, my CPU use to be 2.6GHz, but when I put it back down to 2.6GHz it still had problems, so I put it to 2.5GHz and it was fine, so in the process of attempting to make my Processor better, I made it worse, lol.

But I think I'll definitely come back here for advice on tweaking my Processor, and seeing as the Processor you lined me up with is unlocked, I think I'll have an easier time doing it, especially with guidance from this community.

I do have one question everybody asks, right now I can run Crysis at 1920x1200 on about Medium with no AA and a small amount of AF (4x I think), with my new Processor, Motherboard and RAM, do you think I might be able to crank it up to High (Forget about AA though, AA on Crysis is something only Maxishine could do)?

And another question, which I don't think anyone will be able to answer, but do you think I'll be able to play Crysis 2 on Medium?

I'm not sure if recommended specifications have been released for Crysis 2, though.

Anyhow, again, thanks for the ton of help, and especially since it's very detailed answers, thanks for spending the time helping me.

Sorry about your past issues with OC'ing --- it is important to reset your CMOS after a bad run at it (best way is to simply unplug and pull the battery for a minute or two). Then you may restart, enter the BIOS, select *Load Optimized Defaults*, save and exit, and make another run at it.

Using the unlocked cpu multiplier is a simple way to boost performance but is somewhat limited in maximizing your potential -- especially with the PhII 970 and the Asus 790FX (that is one potent combination, there :)  )

Stock on the 970 is 17.5 (cpu multiplier) x 200MHz (system clock). Before moving forward sometimes it is best to take a step back -- in this case I would recommend dropping the cpu multiplier and raising the system clock ...

15 x 240MHz will give you a slight OC to 3.6GHz and has the significant side benefit of raising the IMC (integrated memory controller) from stock 2000MHz to 2400MHz, or 10x240MHz.

There are a handful of BIOS changes in the *Tweaker* menu that need to be changed to accomplish this. Download the manual and study up a bit on the Tweaker menu in the BIOS to familiarize yourself with the general terms.

Once we are comfortable with your stability and temps at 15 x 240MHz, it is a simple matter of raising the cpu multiplier and tweaking a few voltage settings.

Heat and voltage are your enemies. I cannot stress enough (here I go beating this dead horse again :lol:  ) about the importance of adequate cooling. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is £15.85 Inc VAT. It is the best investment you may make for your gaming.

By bumping the clock speed of your new CPU and IMC, we will increase your gaming performance roughly 10-20% above that gained from your system overhaul. I'm not the Gaming Guru around here but I suspect with your current CPU, motherboard and settings you are less than 30fps.

At stock speeds with your new system I don't think 45fps is out of the question. By over-clocking the CPU and IMC (and video card if you are so inclined [:jaydeejohn:5] ), we are going to blow past 50fps.

That sound good ??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 4:16:23 PM

That sounds brilliant, and, another question, do you think I should ever invest in Water Cooling or do I really only need that if I'm running dual GPU's or something along the lines of that?
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 4:29:45 PM

Quote:
That sounds brilliant, and, another question, do you think I should ever invest in Water Cooling or do I really only need that if I'm running dual GPU's or something along the lines of that?

From a performance standpoint, water versus good air is roughly equivalent. Water systems are, however, generally more quiet than fancy air cooling systems.

From a price/performance standpoint, it's hard to top that Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro from above. It looks to be a better deal than anything we can get in the States. They are around $40US :fou:  over here
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 1:57:27 AM

So between the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler and Corsair H50-1 Hydro Series CPU Cooler which one would be best for the AMD Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core Processor (In terms of letting me overclock more, not price).

And I don't mean to be a pain but along with that could you sum up every component you suggest I should get?

There are quite a few links above and I don't want to make a simple mistake.

And I think this will be the last question I have, hopefully for you anyway XD
a c 108 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 12:13:55 PM

Quote:
So between the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler and Corsair H50-1 Hydro Series CPU Cooler which one would be best for the AMD Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core Processor (In terms of letting me overclock more, not price).

And I don't mean to be a pain but along with that could you sum up every component you suggest I should get?

There are quite a few links above and I don't want to make a simple mistake.

And I think this will be the last question I have, hopefully for you anyway XD

Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core: £140.96 Inc VAT

Asus Crosshair III 790FX: £99.63 Inc VAT

6GB (3x2GB) Super Talent DDR3 PC3-12800: £79.88 Inc VAT

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro: £15.85 Inc VAT

The Good News: £337 Inc VAT

The Bad News: The PhII 970BE is now sold out (pardon me while I laugh) :lol:  That's what I call KARMA! Grab the PhII 965BE and save yourself £15. It will work just as well as the 970.

Hurry! Do it now before the 790FX motherboard sells out!

Hurry!

Hurry!

Hurry!

:) 

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 12:50:31 PM

^ +1 ....Good stuff .... very "wise" recommendations. :sol: 
November 20, 2010 6:36:33 PM

That's very strange, my account got deleted, I had to make it again.

Anyhow, I ordered the PhII 970BE from Dabs, so I managed to get it, and everything else I got from Scan.

So I'd just like to thank you Wisecracker for the huge amount of help, and seeing as I'm also getting the Cooling Freezer 7 Pro I think I'll come back for OCing help sooner than Xmas.

Now I just need to pay someone to install it, watch him do it, and then I should have a small understanding on how to do it in the future (Scan also has a £6 Scansecure thing, if you break anything trying to install it they refund you, so that's quite a positive thing for beginners, even though I'll be getting someone with the know how to install it, it was £6, I thought I'd get it, you know, just in case XD).

So, again, thanks a ton Wisecracker, biggest help I've received from one person in my entire PC Gaming career.
!