dueljester

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Hi there everyone,

I'm in the process of putting together my second computer, and attempting to sell my first one. Unfortunately due to school / work I haven't been able to keep up on the reviews of new techs and hardware releases which is what brings me here. This build will be for a combination of gaming / 3d rending & modeling / audio & video creation via adobe suites. I'm planning continuing using win 7-64 bit.

All parts I found through new egg. Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Board: EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

video card: EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Memory: Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1600ELK

HDD: (2) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Disk Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

PS: If this is the wrong section to post in I do apologize I'm not 100 percent where everything here is, yet. :D

Hello dueljester;

Nothing wrong with posting here but the majority of new system builds show up on the THG System's forum.
The have a sticky post they like people to use on *How To Ask For New Build Advice*

I do see one miss match in your parts list. The 1000W PSU and GTS 250 video card. Unless the GTS 250 is a place holder for a couple of really powerful next gen video cards you probably have too little graphics power for gaming and too much PSU.

A single GTX 460 in a system like yours would only need a 450W PSU. For two GTX 460s in SLI mode, plus room some room for overclocking and add'l items like extra HDDs or a SSD a nice 650W should be plenty.

^completely agree.
Also, if your main intended uses are gaming, your GPU is seriously underpowered for your pricepoint.

If I were to look at your system, I would assume that you might be gaming casually or just want to be able to accelerate non-gaming applications that can make use of your graphics card. With your CPU, I'm assuming you intend to keep the computer for a while or you want the power for some CPU intensive tasks/applications.
So I like the build, but telling us your intended uses could change my mind.

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Eh. A P55 platform would probably suit you better.

An 870 outperforms the 930 for the same price, and a P55 mobo would allow you to move to 8GB of ram for the same price.

GPU is, as mentioned, insufficient, while the PSU is probably overkill.

Avoid the WD caviar 'fals' model. It's a good deal slower than the "Faex" version.

IMO grab the HAF 922 and a Hyper 212+ cooler. If you're overclocking the Noctua D14 is another good choice.

dueljester

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
everyone thank you very much for the help. To clarify about the heavy duty psu, I just recently tried to upgrade my current build 780i ftw board with a quad core from a duel core. Unfortunately, the current psu that I have (a corisor 750w) from all tests and everything I can tell doesn't have enough "umph" to power a quad / evga 9800 gt and the rest of the build, which is why I did the over kill of psu.

So I guess my question would be, would a 850 w psu be fine or should I stick with the 1000w; I know either way I'm going to stick with a modular psu out of my hatred for massive wires everywhere...

As for the gpu, I wasn't to sure what to go with and a quick look over the card seemed decent enough. What would you all recommend for under say 200 if possible?

I don't really have any knowledge on how to overclock so I'm thinking with the stock fans / heatsink I should be due to the cases size / airflow and what not.

dueljester

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Enzo thank you for the reply. To answer your question I use my system for both gaming and a bunch of 3d modeling and a bunch video editing (I refuse to ever buy mac.....). I do plan on keeping this for a while hence the higher end cpu, what would you recommend to make things better suited for gaming and work related 3d rendering & a/v work?