Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Only showing two cores!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2010 11:04:00 AM

Hey!

I have a Packard Bell ixtreme wth a core 2 quad, 2gig RAM and 8600 GS graphics.It's two years old or something. Just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

My problem is that nowhere in windows does it show the correct number of processors. In "my computer" it says core 2 duo e4500, and in device manager only two processors shows up, core 2 duo e4500 asweel. The same thing in task manager.

Thing is, in vista home premium which shipped with computer, all cores showed and worked fine.

Now i have already tried the basic stuff, msconfig/boot/advanced-uncheck and deleting and reinstalling the devices from device manager. I just tried a re-install of windows 7 but nothing changed. I'm thinking of resetting BIOS. But it has worked before with this BIOS settings. Why would reset help?

I mean! I dont even know exact what processor i have because i dont know what the numbers i BIOS means.
I only know it's a core 2 quad processor because i remmber seeing all 4 cores working in Windows vista. And it has the sticker on the front saying "core 2 Quad".

I am getting very sad! Can't find ANY help on internet and packard bell support site wont let me ask them anything cause apapreantly my serial number is wrong (its not its just their crappy webpage in flash that validates wrong, i get other stupid errors too).

Please! Tell me what info to provide and i will... Hope you can help me!

More about : showing cores

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 12:02:55 PM

Maybe it is a Core2Duo E4500. Try CPUID.
November 17, 2010 12:08:38 PM

venjhammet said:
Maybe it is a Core2Duo E4500. Try CPUID.

Well. CPU-Z gives Core2Duo E4500 aswell. What does this mean?

That windows vista lied about 4 cores operating and my computer manufactorer accidently placed the Core2Quad sticker om my machine?

Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 12:27:28 PM

What does it show as in BIOS?
November 17, 2010 12:30:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What does it show as in BIOS?

Well as i wrote i don't know how to read the numbers. It doesnt say anything about the number of cores!
Only says:

CPU Type: Intel(r)
CPU Frequency: 2.20GHz / 800MHz
CPU ID/uCodeID: 06FD/A1
CPU L2 Chache: 2048kb
November 17, 2010 3:04:56 PM

Aww. Anyone got any tips?

I even tried resetting bios now. Stil nothing. :( 
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:07:42 PM

Somewhere in the BIOS or on the startup screen I would have hoped the CPU would be shown.
November 17, 2010 3:10:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Somewhere in the BIOS or on the startup screen I would have hoped the CPU would be shown.

Yeah i know! But cant get at it anywhere... Not that i know of anyway! Guess i'll have to go back to vista :( 
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:14:02 PM

Changing the OS won't give you extra cores :lol:  , seriously though I think there must be something else going on here.
November 17, 2010 3:17:39 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Changing the OS won't give you extra cores :lol:  , seriously though I think there must be something else going on here.

Well! In practice it will! because i ran Vista Home Premium before and then i had 4 perectly working cores. :) 

What do you think is going on? :( 
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:21:33 PM

I can't see why W7 would misidentify the CPU which is why I want to know what your motherboard sees it as, hence why I was asking about the BIOS ID.
November 17, 2010 3:23:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I can't see why W7 would misidentify the CPU which is why I want to know what your motherboard sees it as, hence why I was asking about the BIOS ID.

..hence i posted all info i can find in bios and/or startup screens. :( 

And i dont know exaclty how to update my bios. I will try packard bells downloads cetner for this.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:27:09 PM

staef said:
..hence i posted all info i can find in bios and/or startup screens. :( 

And i dont know exaclty how to update my bios. I will try packard bells downloads cetner for this.

Has your PC ever gone away for repair or updates?
November 17, 2010 3:28:45 PM

Quote:
you should have gotten a screen shot because I think you are mistaken.
unless you chips two cores just gave up and quit... :sweat: 

Ok! Lets say i am msitaken. There was never 4 ccores runing in windows vista.

This still means the manufaturer put the wrong sticker on my box?! How likely is that?

Can i pull out my processor and looka t it? Or is this a diffucult manouver :p 
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:32:34 PM

staef said:
Ok! Lets say i am msitaken. There was never 4 ccores runing in windows vista.

This still means the manufaturer put the wrong sticker on my box?! How likely is that?

Can i pull out my processor and looka t it? Or is this a diffucult manouver :p 

Check the paperwork and see what model they charged you for then check the specs for that machine on their website.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 3:38:58 PM

I just thought I should throw this in the disscussion, for the past few years at least and depending on what Bios Ver. I use my, P4 650 3.4GHz Prescott has shown up as a P4 Extream Edition 3.4GHz Gallatin CPU in the Bios(outdated versions not the newest I am running now), CPU-Z, BlackBox, and any other utility that reports the CPU model still has this error in them.

So these programs can be wrong, but I cannot explain why windows and maybe his bios would not report the four cores that are supposed to be there. Maybe a wrong Bios version could cause such a problem? Similar to how mine will report and P4 Extream when using an outdated Bios version.

Just a thought. You guys seem to have a better handle on it than me. :??: 

Found an article on the iExtream, says they started offering the Core 2 Quad in July of 2009.
November 17, 2010 3:42:57 PM

Quote:
@OP Are you joking with us?

Sorry if you think im a bit retarded! But i would never waste helpful peoples time like that!

Word of honor
November 17, 2010 3:44:23 PM

Quote:
I bet you tried to use the feature in MsConfig where you pick the number of cores to use on bootup

Sure did ;)  Thx anyway! :) 
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 4:02:20 PM

^Yes please, I would really like to see that CPU-Z screen also.
November 17, 2010 4:05:11 PM

Starting to think i am wrong. even though i know i'm not haha!

Checked the model on the back of the machine and it says J9426... that model is Core2Duo model as far as i now!

But i know, both in Vist and in linux i had 4 cores shown... And the fact of the sticker on the front. I mean come on.. DO they really put the wrong sticker on? has never happened before anyway.

I'äm posting CPU-z when i get to the machine!

Will also open it up and rip out the cpu and lok at it :) 
November 17, 2010 4:23:23 PM

OK. So. The only thing it says on my processor is:

2L73793
QA1398

Moment of truth!
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 4:32:05 PM

@staef^^The name and model of the CPU should be CLEARLY printed right on the chip along with the serial number.

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 4:39:50 PM

Quote:
@OP Are you joking with us?

I am starting to think we are on the recieving end of a bad joke aswell :heink: 
November 17, 2010 4:42:49 PM

November 17, 2010 4:49:09 PM

Nope! Im not ******* with you. I am this stupid!

because the front was all messy with goo! But i scraped it off and guess what..

INTEL CORE 2 DUO !

I've been ripped off!

Thx for all the help!
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 4:49:22 PM

Quote:
This guy is a troll and wasting our time.His cpu pic proves it.

I couldnt have said it better myself. :pfff: 
November 17, 2010 4:49:50 PM

/solved
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 5:39:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!