LGA775 future??

thefinal

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
Hi folks
A simple question:
Does the LGA775 have a future ?
The reason being is that I have a MB with LGA775 and I am considering upgrading in 2 steps, first MB and carry over the cpu and later upgrade the cpu.
Or is there a more cost efficient cpu out there?

Regards
TheFinal

there will be. socket 1155. the motherboards are already ready for the market.

as for upgrading in steps, no 775 cpus are compatible with any newer sockets.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Well if I understand your post correctly, then enzo matrix has already answered your question - you can't carry socket 775 processors over to newer boards with a different socket, so you can't do this 2-stage upgrade you propose.

Upgrading to a newer/better socket 775 CPU is money down the drain at this stage - the good ones are still fairly pricey compared to the newer CPUs, and just delays the inevitable that sooner or later you'll have to replace your entire platform.

What you can do for now is get a good CPU cooler and overclock your existing system as far as it will go, depending on what your CPU is. A lot of Core 2 systems still have plenty of juice left as jsc stated, and with a good overclock they're still punching it out with the new ones.

But as I said, sooner or later you're gonna have to replace everything in one go - CPU, motherboard, RAM.

Best start saving!

Won't work, you can't fit a 775 CPU into the new Core i-series boards.

TRENDING THREADS