Problem with new Hard Drive

June 23, 2005 8:09:34 PM

I am running Windows XP Pro...main Hard Drive is 80GB Primary Master; I had
a second (Secondary Slave) 20GB drive where I store all my
files/pics/programs/etc. Both hard drives are Maxtor.
Also I have my Power Options set in the "Turn Off Monitor" to 3 minutes.

I got a new 200GB Maxtor to replace the 20GB. I installed it yesterday and
all of a sudden, either the monitor shurs down for a second and then comes
back on, or it shuts down, but also the "Prompt for Password" in the
Advanced tab checks itself all the time, so now I am getting the password
window every time I take need to go back to the screen.

The annoying part is that I cannot change it. I check the "Prompt for
Password" off and it keeps getting back there.

More about : problem hard drive

June 23, 2005 11:12:44 PM

It is definitely the hard drive. I just unplugged it (both power and ATA)
and the "Power Settings" is functioning normally again.

Any idea?

"John" <ein_shem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro...main Hard Drive is 80GB Primary Master; I had
> a second (Secondary Slave) 20GB drive where I store all my
> files/pics/programs/etc. Both hard drives are Maxtor.
> Also I have my Power Options set in the "Turn Off Monitor" to 3 minutes.
>
> I got a new 200GB Maxtor to replace the 20GB. I installed it yesterday and
> all of a sudden, either the monitor shurs down for a second and then comes
> back on, or it shuts down, but also the "Prompt for Password" in the
> Advanced tab checks itself all the time, so now I am getting the password
> window every time I take need to go back to the screen.
>
> The annoying part is that I cannot change it. I check the "Prompt for
> Password" off and it keeps getting back there.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:47:46 AM

John, did you reverse the process to see if things went back to normal?
"John" <ein_shem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro...main Hard Drive is 80GB Primary Master; I had
> a second (Secondary Slave) 20GB drive where I store all my
> files/pics/programs/etc. Both hard drives are Maxtor.
> Also I have my Power Options set in the "Turn Off Monitor" to 3 minutes.
>
> I got a new 200GB Maxtor to replace the 20GB. I installed it yesterday and
> all of a sudden, either the monitor shurs down for a second and then comes
> back on, or it shuts down, but also the "Prompt for Password" in the
> Advanced tab checks itself all the time, so now I am getting the password
> window every time I take need to go back to the screen.
>
> The annoying part is that I cannot change it. I check the "Prompt for
> Password" off and it keeps getting back there.

Related resources
June 24, 2005 1:47:47 AM

No, I have not...

But I was thinking - what's in a hard drive to cause this thing...?! There
isn't even a software that is involved...

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> John, did you reverse the process to see if things went back to normal?
> "John" <ein_shem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Windows XP Pro...main Hard Drive is 80GB Primary Master; I
>>had
>> a second (Secondary Slave) 20GB drive where I store all my
>> files/pics/programs/etc. Both hard drives are Maxtor.
>> Also I have my Power Options set in the "Turn Off Monitor" to 3 minutes.
>>
>> I got a new 200GB Maxtor to replace the 20GB. I installed it yesterday
>> and
>> all of a sudden, either the monitor shurs down for a second and then
>> comes
>> back on, or it shuts down, but also the "Prompt for Password" in the
>> Advanced tab checks itself all the time, so now I am getting the password
>> window every time I take need to go back to the screen.
>>
>> The annoying part is that I cannot change it. I check the "Prompt for
>> Password" off and it keeps getting back there.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:18:11 AM

John, only thing I can suggest is going to the drive manufacturers
website. Look in their knowledgebase. It could be your
Power Supply getting Flaky. Given the weird symptoms. Try using
Motherboard Monitor. It will give you a readout of
your 3.3, 5 and 12v rails. Should not dip below 5%. It's a freebee and
you can get it here

!