Sign in with
Your question

XP, i5, RAM & applications

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2010 2:44:02 PM

This is a combo question:

I'm getting ready to build a new Windows-based PC. My current one is 5 years old and since I have started moving away from film photography to digital photography, my P4 is taking too long to process digital photo customizations. I have multiple peripherals hanging off my XP-based system that work fine and my intention is to keep them.

I'd prefer to stay with XP because I'm familiar with it and have all necessary drivers, but would move to Win7 if need to due to my requirements.

1. Can I stick with XP and be able to use the multiple cores of an i7 cpu when using Photoshop Elements? Or, do the i7s need Win7 to use the multicores?

Thanks

More about : ram applications

November 19, 2010 12:26:03 PM

mrranger said:
This is a combo question:

I'm getting ready to build a new Windows-based PC. My current one is 5 years old and since I have started moving away from film photography to digital photography, my P4 is taking too long to process digital photo customizations. I have multiple peripherals hanging off my XP-based system that work fine and my intention is to keep them.

I'd prefer to stay with XP because I'm familiar with it and have all necessary drivers, but would move to Win7 if need to due to my requirements.

1. Can I stick with XP and be able to use the multiple cores of an i7 cpu when using Photoshop Elements? Or, do the i7s need Win7 to use the multicores?

Thanks

XP will utilize all of your cores. I had Win7 on my AMD Phenom IIX6, and I didn't like it, so went back to XP. XP works just fine, and it is slightly faster than Windows 7.
m
l
!